Recap: Yu Gi Oh The Abridged Series S 3 E 12 Desperately Dueling Susan
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles: When discussing what Mai will have faced in the shadow realm, Melvin claims that the tentacle monsters will have been especially friendly.
- Call Back: In turns out that Joey purchased the Espa Roba family's baby, much to Serenity's dismay.
- Can't Get In Trouble For Nuthin': Kaiba just won't ban Melvin from his tournament, no matter how many times he evokes the power of Satan.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Card Game Hell. It's just like the real world, only there are no card games. And That's Terrible.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): An even more ridiculous example than usual. Tristan's idea of CPR boils down to getting right in the victim's face and screaming "WAKE UP!" on repeat. A more conventional example of this trope occurs when Duke shoots an Aside Glance and flirtatiously offers CPR to any ladies in the audience.
- Crazy Homeless People: A homeless man claiming to be Santa allegedly convinced Tristan to sit on his lap.
- Expy: Joey's Scapegoat card activates fluffy animals with a "do-da-baa-baa-baa" Catch Phrase, ala Kuriboh.
- It's All About Me: Yami causes Joey to enter a life threatening coma and then has the nerve to complain that Joey gets to ride on a stretcher while he has to walk everywhere.
- Kill It with Fire: After debating whether he should burn Joey alive or just asphyxiate him, Melvin decides to go with the burning.
- Limited Animation: Joey responds to Melvin's "why the long face" quip with the defense that he's just a poorly drawn.
- Metaphorgotten: Melvin needs to brush up on his monologue skills a bit.Melvin: The shadows are growing impatient, Susan! They're on a very tight schedule. They need to get to work by nine o'clock.Joey: ...what are you even saying right now?
- Oh Crap!: Kaiba gets a big one when it appears that Joey might win the duel (which would the result in Mokuba gaining control of the company via a bet he just made).
- The Power of Friendship: Failed example. Well, Joey would have won the duel because of it, but Yami didn't believe hard enough, so it didn't work.
- Shout-Out: When Kaiba promises Mokuba that he can run Kaibacorp if Joey wins the duel, Mokuba promises to rename the company "Mokusoft" and develop "frustrating operating systems that nobody wants to develop for".