Recap: The Wild Wild West S 1 E 28 The Night Of The Sudden Plague
West and Gordon arrive in Willow Springs to find everyone frozen in place and all the money gone. President Grant orders them to investigate, but Governor Marcus Hawthorne shows little interest in helping out. West goes to investigate a request for help from the nearby town of Sand Hill and ends up trailing the gang responsible to their hideout, where he gets into various kinds of hot water, while Gordon, working on analyzing the cause of the paralysis, finds some trouble of his own.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Fake Nationality: The apparently occidental Dr. Kirby is Chinese.
- Fed to the Beast: A small-scale version. The gang leader threatens to cover a tied-down Artie in bacon grease and then let a bunch of hungry lab animals loose on him.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: The man responsible for inventing the paralysis drug has a young, lovely daughter who loves her father but isn't willing to help him kill people.
- Sleazy Politician: Governor Hawthorne is absolutely unconcerned with anything other than his own personal comforts and his future political career.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Artie ends up confined this way when he's captured and threatened with torture by the gang.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Kirby was once a missionary who helped save hundreds of lives in China. However, when the ruler's wife died during a plague despite Kirby's best attempts to save her, the ruler had Kirby's wife killed in retribution, causing Kirby to become embittered toward humanity.