West and Gordon are assigned to protect Emir El Emid, who has many expat enemies in the States. An assassination attempt is made almost immediately by Ecstasy LaJoie of the Society of Assassins; a series of further attempts follow, interspersed with kidnappings, escapes and a deadly ball at a luxurious mansion.
Tropes present in this episode:
- The Cast Showoff: Ecstasy does a lot of dancing in this episode, primarily to show off future Batgirl Yvonne Craig's skills.
- Discreet Drink Disposal: Given a drink which he realizes is drugged, Artie inconspicuously empties it into the fireplace behind him, then feigns enjoyment.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Unlike most episodes, it does indeed take place all in one night.
- Improbable Weapon User: The tools of Ecstasy's trade include an explosive garter and a tambourine with a razor-sharp edge.
- Murder, Inc.: The Society of Assassins, a group of professional killers for hire. Apparently they have a world-wide organization.
- Trail of Bread Crumbs: Artie produces a special tape which adheres to carriage wheels and leaves a trail only visible through special lenses.
- Unwanted Rescue: In spite of the fact that everyone is expecting him to show up, Artie manages to infiltrate the Society's hideout without being detected - until El Emid, whom Artie and Jim are trying to rescue, betrays him. El Emid protests that he is enjoying himself and doesn't want to leave.