Recap / The Simpsons S 12 E 20 Children Of A Lesser Clod
Homer suffers a knee injury during a Springfield YMCA basketball game, and uses his free time to take care of the neighborhood kids after Flanders asks Homer to babysit Rod and Todd. Soon, he turns it into a daycare center and becomes a candidate for the Springfield Nice Guy Awards, while the resentful Bart and Lisa plot to expose Homer for the neglectful, abusive jerk he truly is.
- Abusive Parents: Bart and Lisa prove to the town what a monster Homer is by showing old home movies of him doing things like betting (and losing) Maggie in a poker game and chasing after Bart with a mace.
"I'LL MACE YOU GOOD!"
- Body Horror: Homer's scar, which heals over Ralph's hand when he touches it.
Homer: It knows you're afraid.
- Karma Houdini: Homer avoids conviction for his crimes because all attempts to have him convicted resulted on mistrials.
- Look, a Distraction!: Homer tries to run from Dr. Hibbert my shouting "Look, a bear!". Subverted; there actually was a bear.
- Noodle Incident: When did Homer chase after Bart with a mace (actually, a medieval flail) yelling, "I'll mace you good!" What did Bart do to deserve that kind of punishment?
- And how did Homer get Maggie back from Moe after losing her in a poker game?
- And what led to Homer getting passed out drunk and half-naked on Christmas morning?
- Mythology Gag: Homer insanely tells the kids he's kidnapping that they're going out for Frosty Chocolate Milkshakes, a reference to the The Tracey Ullman Show Homer (or "Captain Wacky," according to the season seven retrospective "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular"), who always said, "Hey, let's go out for frosty, chocolate milkshakes!"
- Not Helping Your Case: When Bart and Lisa show the clips of Homer being a jerk, he claims that the clips are completely out of context and proceeds to strangle Bart on the stage.
- Tree Buchet: Homer somehow uses Bart's tree as one while he has the kids in the treehouse. Only Ralph flew out.
Ralph: (hanging on Ned's weathervane from his shirt) I almost died!
- Rule of Three: The Time Skip between Homer's arrest and the epilogue comes with a subtitle reading "three mistrials later".
- Sophisticated as Hell: The society matron teaching a class on young male etiquette is married to a black gangsta rapper and tells Bart, "Good gracious, I should bust a cap in your ass!"
- Who Writes This Crap?!:
Krusty: Now, every year we find one good Samaritan so deserving that not recognizing him would make Santa Claus himself vomit with rage. Ugh... who writes this crap?
(turns out Mr. Teeny, Krusty's monkey, is writing his material)