Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 S 1 E 14 New Girl In Town
Leonardo, tired of Raphael's constant criticism, lets his brother try his hand at leadership for a while; Leonardo meets Karai, a beautiful and dangerous female ninja who tries to lure him to the dark side.
This episode provides examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Slap: April does this to Leo when he tells her that girl he's hanging out with is in the Foot Clan.
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: Raph yells Mikey's "Booyakasha!" when he delivers the final blow to Snakeweed.
- Call-Back: Snakeweed is back from "Rise of the Turtles".
- The Chains of Commanding: Leo is sick of the pressure, constantly being second-guessed, and never getting any appreciation. Splinter reminds him that being The Leader is about responsibility, not appreciation. Meanwhile, Raph fills in as leader, but the pressure gets too much while the group fights Snakeweed, and he freezes up after Mikey is injured. Raph acknowledges that he's not comfortable having to make decisions that could put his brothers in potential danger.
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: Raph. Who else?
- Dark Action Girl: Karai. She is a "beautiful and dangerous female ninja", of course.
- Enemy Rising Behind: Snakeweed behind Raphael as Leonardo tries to explain why he's with Karai.
- Foreshadowing: Once again, Space Heroes. Particularly in the case for "Enemy of My Enemy", where Leonardo and his brothers betray Karai first.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Captain Ryan gets a Blue-Skinned Space Babe in this episode. It doesn't last.
- Hammerspace: That comic book April hits Leo with comes out of nowhere.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When Michelangelo gets hurt during Raphael's stint as leader, he can't figure out what to do and Donatello has to tell him that they need to retreat.
- It Amused Me: Karai says she spared Leo during their first encounter because he's the first thing in the city that doesn't bore her.
- Literally Shattered Lives: Snakeweed gets frozen and then shattered to pieces. It doesn't last.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The official promo of this episode only shows the conflict between Leo and Raph. Karai and Snakeweed aren't even mentioned.
- Same goes for the summary. Karai doesn't "lure [Leo] to the dark side", she just tries to push his buttons a little.
- Not So Different: Leo and Karai get into this with each other.
- After Raph talks about the pressure of command, Splinter notes that he now understands Leo's burden.
- Sibling Rivalry: Leo vs Raph.
- Vetinari Job Security: Sick of constantly being second-guessed and not receiving any appreciation for his efforts, Leo hands his leadership over to Raph, who is firmly convinced he can do the job better. Raph soon cracks under the pressure, and while fighting Snakeweed, he can't think of any better plan but "go for the head" and freezes up completely when Mikey is injured. After they escape, Raph confesses to Splinter that he can't handle being leader and now realizes what Leo has to deal with every day.
- We Can Rule Together: Karai trying to convince Leo that he's not as good as he pretends to be. Also inverted with Leo trying to convince Karai that she's not as bad as she pretends to be.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Splinter calls out Leo for handling his leadership over to Raph. Later, he calls out Raph on the consequences of being leader thanks to Mikey's injuries.
- April also didn't approve of Leo being interested in his enemy, which leads to her telling the others.