Recap of Supernatural Season 9, Episode 21
King Of The Damned
Written by Eugenie Ross-Leming and Brad Buckner.
Directed by P.J. Pesce.
Air Date: May 6, 2014.
Abaddon gains an advantage over Crowley by kidnapping his son Gavin MacLeod, and uses it to turn him against the Winchesters. On the other side, Castiel learns more about Metatron's plan.
- Abusive Parents: Crowley was one to Gavin.
Crowley: [to Gavin] I mean, I beat you, starved you, came home drunk, beat you some more, woke up hungover, and, yeah, I beat you.
- Continuity Nod: Cass still has the pimpmobile (a gold 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V), which was first seen in "Road Trip" (S09, E10) and later reappeared in "Meta Fiction" (S09, E18).
- Eye Scream: Abaddon plays on Crowley's paternal protectiveness by melting Gavin's eyes out of his skull. Luckily, it's reversible.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Gavin McLeod, son of Crowley.
- Freudian Excuse: Crowley has one for his treatment of Gavin:
Crowley: In all fairness, I didn't really have any role models. My mother was a witch!
- Killed Off for Real: Abaddon and Malachi.
- No Sell: The First Blade makes Dean immune to Abaddon's telekinesis.
- Oh, Crap: Abaddon's smug smile slips off fast when she sees that Dean, juiced up on the Mark of Cain and the First Blade, is becoming immune to her demonic powers.
- Papa Wolf: The newly-found humanity in Crowley makes him more concerned for his son...which pisses him off.
- Perp Sweating: Interrogating Ezra, Dean seems ready to just start cutting, but then he and Sam play on Ezra's insecurities by talking about what a loser he is.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Part of what finally brings Abaddon down. Despite being a former lover of Cain himself, she didn't appreciate the full extent of what the Blade and the Mark can do.