Season 6, Episode 9
Clap Your Hands If You Believe...
Sam and Dean investigate a series of disappearances that seem to involve UFOs.
- Anal Probing: Dean is on his cell phone with Sam when what appears to be a UFO's search light starts chasing him. Figuring that Dean is having a close encounter of the third kind, Sam advises "Third kind already? You better run, man. I think the fourth kind is the butt thing."
- Later, there's mention of the first born sons servicing Oberon. Sam asks if Dean serviced the fairy king.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: No aliens.
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Notably averted.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Marion comes across as your average overly cheerful hippie, but she's clearly an expert on fairies, and everything she presents as fact is true.
- The Conscience/Morality Chain: Dean, even giving a Shout-Out to Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.
- Continuity Nod: The opening of "Clap Your Hands if you Believe", which was itself a Shout-Out to The X-Files, was put together from clips of previous episodes - including the slow-dancing alien from the first Trickster episode.
- Credits Gag: The credits are a Shout-Out to The X-Files.
- Crop Circles
- Dissonant Serenity: Sam. After Dean is abducted, he just "adjusted to it".
- Distracted by the Sexy
- Drunk on Milk: The watchmaker says the cream is like tequila for fairies. The little folk are shown passed out or staggering around.
- Eye Open: At the end of the opening credits as a Shout-Out to The X-Files.
- The Fair Folk: The fairy and watchmaker's elves looked like they were straight out of a live action Disney movie, but the leprechaun and the redcap (a type of Fae that murders travelers and stains his hat with their blood) were larger and much nastier.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: the Doctor as a UFO reporter.
- Magically-Binding Contract
- Mistaken for Homophobe: Dean what did you think would happen if you attacked a man in the street shouting 'Fairy!'?
- Mistaken for Ableist: Made worse by the fact that he said "tiny fairy" and the man in question was a little person.
- In a meta example, the twitter hashtag for the episode was #FightTheFairies, which caused quite a few fans to be Mistaken for Homophobe.
- My Card: "All right. Listen. Call us if anything comes to mind."
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Misha Collins as Castiel. He doesn't appear this episode.
- SoCalization: The man Dean tackles is stated to be the district attorney. The closest thing that Tipton, Indiana (where the episode takes place) has is a Prosecuting Attorney.
- The Watchmaker: Mr. Brennan.
- Throw It In: Jared and Jensen had fun with this episode. Jared ad-libbed "Do you have bigger cups" and "Why didn't I do that earlier?"note , while Jensen ad-libbed "I'm just kidding".
- Tractor Beam: Spotlight in the cornfield.
- Vox Pops: Start of the episode.