Recap: Supernatural S 06 E 09 Clap Your Hands If You Believe
Recap of Supernatural
Season 6, Episode 9
Season 6, Episode 9
Clap Your Hands If You Believe...Written by Ben Edlund.Directed by John Showalter.Air Date: November 19, 2010.Sam and Dean investigate a series of disappearances that seem to involve UFOs.
- Anal Probing: Dean is on his cell phone with Sam when what appears to be a UFO's search light starts chasing him. Figuring Dean is having a close encounter of the third kind, Sam advises, "Third kind already? You better run, man. I think the fourth kind is the butt thing."
- Later, there's a mention of firstborn sons servicing Oberon. Sam asks if Dean "serviced" the fairy king.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: No aliens, which is a minor Continuity Nod to "Tall Tales" (S02, E15).
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Notably averted, despite the title.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Marion comes across as your average overly-cheerful hippie, but she's clearly an expert on fairies, and everything she presents as fact is true.
- The Conscience/Morality Chain: Dean for Sam, even giving a Shout-Out to Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio."Empathy, Sam!"
- Continuity Nod: The opening, which is also a Shout-Out to The X-Files, was put together from clips of previous episodes, including the slow-dancing alien from the first Trickster episode.
- Credits Gag: The credits are a Shout-Out to The X-Files.
- Crop Circles: Dean is abducted while inspecting a crop circle left at one of the previous abduction sites.
- Dissonant Serenity: Sam. Soon after Dean is abducted, he's "had time to adjust".Sparrow: Did it happen when you were kids?Sam: No, like, half an hour ago.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Sam, notably. Usually that's Dean's job.
- Drunk on Milk: The watchmaker says that cream is like tequila for fairies. The little folk are shown passed out or staggering around.
- Eye Open: At the end of the opening credits as a Shout-Out to The X-Files.
- The Fair Folk: The Tinkerbell-esque fairy and watchmaker's elves look like they're straight out of a live-action Disney movie, but the leprechaun and the redcap (a type of fae that murders travelers and stains his hat with their blood) are much larger and much nastier.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: The Doctor as a UFO reporter.
- Magically Binding Contract
- Mistaken for Homophobe: Dean what did you think would happen if you attacked a man in the street shouting "Fairy!"?
- Mistaken for Ableist: Made worse by the fact that he said "tiny fairy" and the man in question was a little person.
- In a meta example, the Twitter hashtag for the episode was #FightTheFairies, taken from what Dean says while he's getting arrested for the above-mentioned attack, which caused quite a few fans to be Mistaken for Homophobe.
- My Card: "All right. Listen. Call us if anything comes to mind."
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Misha Collins as Castiel. He doesn't appear this episode.
- SoCalization: The man Dean tackles is stated to be the District Attorney. The closest thing that Tipton, Indiana (where the episode takes place) has is a Prosecuting Attorney.
- Special Edition Title: It's an X-Files shout-out.
- The Watchmaker: Mr. Brennan.
- Throw It In: Jared and Jensen had fun with this episode. Jared ad-libbed the lines "Do you have bigger cups?" and "Why didn't I do that earlier?"note , while Jensen ad-libbed "I'm just kidding".
- Tractor Beam: Spotlight in the cornfield.
- Vox Pops: Start of the episode.