When the research station Riker is beamed away from suddenly explodes, the commander finds himself accused of murder.
Tropes featured in "A Matter of Perspective":
- Anti-Villain: Krag isn't a bad guy, just a prosecutor doing his job. He even apologizes to Riker after viewing the exonerating evidence.
- Attempted Rape: According to Mrs. Apgar, although Riker denies it.
- Badass Boast: Apgar in the "beat up" scenario.
"I'm not the fool you take me for."
- Chekhov's Gun: The recurring radiation bursts.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: One scenario has Apgar effortlessly beat up Riker. Another version has Riker beat up Apgar, which is much more plausible.
- Face Palm: Riker facepalms during a holorecreation of the murder. Some have photoshopped Picard's facepalm from "Deja Q" into this episode to create a "Double Facepalm".
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Picard and La Forge are able to demonstrate that Apgar attempted to fire a Krieger wave beam at Riker while he was transporting. However, the beam bounced off Riker and hit the reactor, destroying the station and killing Apgar.
Riker: We can't both be telling the truth.
Troi: It is the truth... as you each remember it.
Riker: Yes, but her version puts a noose around my neck.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Rashomon IN SPACE!
- Say My Name: A purposefully over-the-top example.
"You're a dead man, Apgar!"
- Take Our Word for It: Picard's painting.
- What Ever Happened To The Mouse: We never know whether Riker really had an affair with Apgar's wife.