Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 02 E 10 Sanctuary
Kira is annoyed. Shocker of the year.
Her annoyances with the provisional government on Bajor has been causing her to slip in her duties. After a quick reprimanding from Sisko, DS9 gets a visitor from the other side of the wormhole.
Beaming the 4 occupants (one woman and three males) aboard the station, they encounter a small issue: they can't understand each other. The visitors language is complicated even for the Universal Translator
. It's gonna take a while for it to kick in. So, much to her annoyance, Kira is stuck chauffeuring them around and keeping them talking until it translates.
After a small walk around the station, the translator finally translates in their quarters. The woman is named Haneek, a Skrreean. A race conquered before their conquerors themselves were conquered by the mysterious Dominion.
3 million Skrreean people are in search of the "Eye of the Universe"(The wormhole) which will lead them to a fabled planet named Kentanna. A "Planet of sorrows". Soon, several throngs arrive and make themselves at home on the station.
The male of the species are notoriously emotional and violent, leading to several confrontations around the station. But it's all good. Cause Haneek has found Kentanna! The planet of sorrows. Better known as Bajor
As expected, the provisional government aren't exactly thrilled that 3 million refugees want to make the shambled planet their new home. And after a negotiation with Haneek, they refuse to let the Skrreean settle on Bajor.
Haneek's son, Tumak, is not
happy. Boarding his damaged ship, he heads for Bajor. With two Bajoran interceptors in pursuit ready to shoot him down. Sisko contacts the general who ordered the pursuit to call them off, but it's too late. Tumak fires on them and they fire back. Their phaser blasts igniting the radiation leaking from his ship and destroying it.
As the Skrreean leave DS9 for their new home of Draylon II, an enraged Haneek leaves Kira with this.
Haneek: "I think you've made a terrible mistake. All of you. Maybe we could have helped you. Maybe we could have helped each other. The Skreeans are farmers, Kira. You have a famine on your planet. Perhaps we could have made that peninsula bloom again. We'll never know, will we? Fifty years of Cardassian rule have made you all frightened and suspicious. I feel sorry for you. You were right. Bajor is not Kentanna."
- Anime Hair: All Skreean females have a giant ridge of hair sticking up on their heads.
- Artistic License – Physics: How does Tumak's shuttle get destroyed? By a phaser blast setting radiation on fire.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: While waiting in Odo's office, Nog sees a bunch of rap sheets on the display, one of which is for weapons smuggling. He says that Quark once talked about how profitable weapons smuggling is, to which Odo immediately perks up and asks what he would know about it. Cue Quark entering, saying he knows better than to get involved in something so disreputable.
- Downer Ending: Haneek's son dies and the Skrreean people are forced to relocate to another planet.
- Myth Arc: This is the second time that the Dominion is mentioned, and the first to give a hint to its brutality.
- Papa Wolf: Quark is quick to spring into action when some of the Skreean boys begin to beat up Nog.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The Bajoran General tries to recall the interceptors when he learns there are children aboard the Skrreean ship. Sadly, he's not fast enough.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Varani, Kira's musician friend, is shown playing a version of the series theme to a mesmerized audience.
- Women Are Wiser: With a male population dominated by emotions and violence, Skreean females run their society.