Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 02 E 10 Sanctuary
Kira is annoyed. Shocker of the year. Her annoyances with the provisional government on Bajor has been causing her to slip in her duties. After a quick reprimanding from Sisko, DS9 gets a visitor from the other side of the wormhole.Beaming the 4 occupants(One woman and three males) aboard the station, they encounter a small issue: they can't understand each other. The visitors language is complicated even for the Universal Translator. It's gonna take a while for it to kick in. So, much to her annoyance, Kira is stuck chauffeuring them around and keeping them talking until it translates.After a small walk around the station, the translator finally translates in their quarters. The woman is named Haneek, a Skrreean. A race conquered before their conquerors themselves were conquered by the mysterious Dominion.3 million Skrreean people are in search of the "Eye of the Universe"(The wormhole) which will lead them to a fabled planet named Kentanna. A "Planet of sorrows". Soon, several throngs arrive and make themselves at home on the station.The male of the species are notoriously emotional and violent, leading to several confrontations around the station. But it's all good. Cause Haneek has found Kentanna! The planet of sorrows. Better known as Bajor.As expected, the provisional government aren't exactly thrilled that 3 million refugees want to make the shambled planet their new home. And after a negotiation with Haneek, they refuse to let the Skrreean settle on Bajor.Haneeks son, Tumak, is not happy. Boarding his damaged ship, he heads for Bajor. With two Bajoran interceptors in pursuit ready to shoot him down. Sisko contacts the general who ordered the pursuit to call them off, but it's too late. Tumak fires on them and they fire back. Their phaser blasts igniting the radiation leaking from his ship and destroying it.As the Skrreean leave DS9 for their new home of Draylon II, an enraged Haneek leaves Kira with this.
- Haneek: "I think you've made a terrible mistake. All of you. Maybe we could have helped you. Maybe we could have helped each other. The Skreeans are farmers, Kira. You have a famine on your planet. Perhaps we could have made that peninsula bloom again. We'll never know, will we? Fifty years of Cardassian rule have made you all frightened and suspicious. I feel sorry for you. You were right. Bajor is not Kentanna."
- Anime Hair: All Skreean females have a giant ridge of hair sticking up on their heads.
- Artistic License – Physics: How does Tumak's shuttle get destroyed? By a phaser blast setting radiation on fire.
- Myth Arc: This is the second time that the Dominion is mentioned, and the first to give a hint to its brutality.
- Strawman Has a Point: The Bajorans' refusal to accommodate the Skrreean isn't entirely without merit, considering that Bajor is still repairing their infrastructure and even with Federation technology, they're struggling to make the land arable again. Also, Haneek claims that the Cardassian occupation has made the Bajorans frightened and suspicious, which is completely true. They suffered a brutal occupation that included liberal doses of ethnic cleansing. Starfleet is having a hard enough time convincing the Bajorans that they haven't traded one oppressor for another.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Varani, Kira's musician friend, is shown playing a version of the series theme to a mesmerized audience.
- Women Are Wiser: With a male population dominated by emotions and violence, Skreean females run their society.