Recap: Farscape S 03 E 14 Infinite Possibilities Daedalus Demands
Season 3, Episode 14:
Infinite Possibilities, part 1: Daedalus DemandsThe crew of Talyn are contacted by "Jack" the Ancient, who has evidence that someone else has a module like Crichton's, along with a working phase stabiliser that allows for safe wormhole travel. Crichton realises that it's Furlow, the alien who took scans and data from Crichton's earlier wormhole experiments. With Jack aboard, Talyn heads to Furlow's planet, while Rygel identifies the alien flying the recorded module as a Charrid — a race that's recently allied with the Scarrans.When the crew arrives, they discover that solar flares are occurring frequently and one of them blinds Crais and Talyn. Worse, an armed force of Charrids has taken control of Furlow's compound. Crichton, Aeryn, Jack and Rygel fight the Charrids off, capture one for interrogation and rescue Furlow, who admits that she copied the designs of Crichton's module and hired Charrid mercenaries to do the test flights. However, they turned on her after the Charrids allied themselves with the Scarrans — and under Rygel's interrogation, the Charrid prisoner reveals that a Scarran Dreadnought is on its way. Even if the crew destroy Furlow's module and her computers, the Dreadnought has a copy of the phase stabiliser plans.While Aeryn and Rygel defend the compound, Jack comes up with a plan: he can unlock the wormhole knowledge in Crichton's brain, and together they can convert Furlow's phase stabiliser into a weapon capable of destroying the Dreadnought. Crichton reveals the presence of Harvey, who must be purged from Crichton's brain first to prevent the knowledge possibly getting back to Scorpius. Jack begins a process that should get rid of Harvey, and in Crichton's head, the pair fight on a rollercoaster before falling off. After Jack is finished, Crichton wakes up, only to reveal that Harvey is in control now...
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Berserk Button: During the mental battle, Harvey tries to convince Crichton that Jack will eventually kill the crew, including Aeryn.Crichton: Do not play the Aeryn card, Scorp! You killed her!
Harvey: Aeryn is alive!
Crichton: Now Zhaan's gone! Who do I thank for that?!
- Callback: The same wormhole trick from "A Human Reaction" is used to let Crichton know where to stop moving.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Rygel knifes the captured Charrid to death.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: A blinded Crais refuses Stark's help upon returning to Talyn, only to then trip and fall down. Afterwards, he swallows his pride and stops resisting Stark's help.
- Hoist By Their Own Petard: Rygel uses a Charrid torture device on one.
- Noodle Incident: The Ancients actually did succeed in finding a new world and moved on.
- Temporary Blindness: Talyn is exposed to a solar flare, blinding both him and Crais.
- That's Gotta Hurt: Charrids are pretty pain resistant, but Rygel explains that their torture devices are designed to be effective against even them.