In London, in the time of Queen Victoria, there were many tales of a remarkable personage known as "The Great Detective".
2012's Children in Need
Special, hosted by Matt Smith
and Jenna-Louise Coleman
. The main plot involves the so-called "Paternoster Gang" — Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint and Strax
, all in Victorian London
, where They Fight Crime
. The Doctor is also present, but after the events of the previous episode
, he has seemingly decided to retire and just wants to live out his life as an ordinary, if cynical, Victorian gentleman, not caring a bit about the fantastic adventures the trio dangle before his nose. You can watch it here
- Achilles in His Tent: The Doctor says he's finished going on adventures and saving humanity, only to join up with Vastra, Jenny, Strax and Clara to stop the Snowmen in the main episode.
- Back from the Dead: Strax, who was killed in "A Good Man Goes To War", is alive and well in this episode.
- Blatant Lies: Vastra and Jenny tell the Doctor they need his help on various adventures to get him out of his Heroic BSOD, only to sheepishly admit halfway through they're actually nothing. Strax meanwhile tells the Doctor he's declared war on the Moon.
- Continuity Nod: Vastra and Jenny unknowingly describe the plots of the original series episodes "Spearhead from Space" and "Inferno".
- Comically Missing the Point
- Despair Event Horizon: Losing the Ponds has apparently managed to push the Doctor over this.
- Foregone Conclusion:
: This Christmas, the Earth will face terrible, terrible danger. But, as all humanity hangs in the balance, will anyone be able to persuade The Doctor to save the day? Jenna-Louise Coleman: Yes
. Matt Smith:
Right, well, so much for dramatic tension. Blimey, Jenna.
- Gonk: The narration explicitly says that Strax's Sontaran looks were so repellant that nobody wanted to photograph him.
- Prequel: For "The Snowmen".
- Replacement Goldfish: Played for Laughs. Matt Smith declares Karen Gillan's character Amy Pond could never be replaced, only for the camera to pull out and show her replacement Jenna-Louise Coleman standing right next to him.
If you remember, when last seen, The Doctor had to say goodbye to his best friend Rory, and to Amelia Pond, the woman who will never be replaced in his hearts. Jenna-Louise Coleman:
Hi [...] Oh don't worry, she won't be watching. She's in LA
- The Scrooge: The Doctor, who wants nothing more to do with fun and adventures.
- Shout Out: A group of unique Victorian personages? Sounds familiar.
- Unexplained Recovery: It is not explained why Strax is alive again, despite a number of setting-appropriate reasons existing.
- Vehicle Vanish: As the Doctor walks away, a hansom cab passes between him and Vestra, Jenny and Strax. When it has gone, he has vanished.