Recap: Death Note Ep 37 New World
After the forty-second countdown ends, the Kira Task Force and SPK remain alive. This shocks both Light and Mikami — especially since Mikami said out loud (just as the countdown ended) that he did everything Light wanted. After Near orders Rester and Gevanni to arrest Mikami, Near reveals that Mikami never wrote Light's name in the Death Note. When Mikami refers to Light as "God", not even Light can hide the truth any more.Cornered and in trouble, Light claims that he doesn't know Mikami, calling the whole situation a framejob by Near. Aizawa tells Light that he can no longer deny the truth. Mikami has confessed and Near has won. The revelation of Kira's true identity crushes Matsuda's heart, since he'd believed in Light's innocence the whole time. As soon as Mogi tries to handcuff Light, he runs to a wall in a panic and finally confesses the truth.While Near explains how he foiled Light's plan (which involved a fake Death Note and the study of Mikami's daily habits), an increasingly-insane Light tries to figure out some way out of his jam. Light remembers a hidden piece of Death Note paper in his watch, but upon trying to use it, the Kira Task Force shoots him. Mikami jabs a pen into his neck to commit suicide after seeing Light shot and losing faith in "God". While the Kira Task Force tries to keep Mikami alive, Light escapes — but with his injuries, he doesn't make it far. After Light collapses on a staircase in a nearby abandoned warehouse. Ryuk returns to make good on a promise from the beginning of the series.As the Kira Task Force searches nearby buildings and Misa Amane stands atop a skyscraper (possibly to commit suicide), Light Yagami dies of cardiac arrest...per the rules of the Death Note.
Tropes used in this episode:
- Berserk Button: Light really shouldn't have insulted his own father while Matsuda was holding him at gunpoint.
- Berserker Tears: Matsuda has this while shooting down Light.
- Book Ends/Call Back: Ryuk returns to Light at the end to fulfill the promise made when the two first met — by writing Light's name in the Death Note.
- The Dog Bites Back: After all the abuse of the series, Matsuda fires back.
- Dying Alone: Light's fate in the end.
- Motive Rant: After revealing himself as Kira, Light tries to sway the others with how the world needs Kira to handle crime.
- Laughing Mad: Light, upon getting irritated with Near boasting him to talk his way out.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: "No. You are just a murderer."
- This Cannot Be!: Light said this when Near reveals he has the real Death Note all along.
- Villainous Breakdown: Light goes into this upon finally running out of plans and being cornered.