Recap / Death Note Ep 37 New World
After the forty-second countdown ends, the Kira Task Force and SPK remain alive. This shocks both Light and Mikami — especially since Mikami said out loud (just as the countdown ended) that he did everything Light wanted. After Near orders Rester and Gevanni to arrest Mikami, Near reveals that Mikami never wrote Light's name in the Death Note. When Mikami refers to Light as "God", not even Light can hide the truth any more.
Cornered and in trouble, Light claims that he doesn't know Mikami, calling the whole situation a framejob by Near. Aizawa tells Light that he can no longer deny the truth. Mikami has confessed and Near has won. The revelation of Kira's true identity crushes Matsuda's heart, since he'd believed in Light's innocence the whole time. As soon as Mogi tries to handcuff Light, he runs to a wall in a panic and finally confesses the truth.
While Near explains how he foiled Light's plan (which involved a fake Death Note and the study of Mikami's daily habits), an increasingly-insane Light tries to figure out some way out of his jam. Light remembers a hidden piece of Death Note paper in his watch, but upon trying to use it, the Kira Task Force shoots him. Mikami jabs a pen into his neck to commit suicide after seeing Light shot and losing faith in "God". While the Kira Task Force tries to keep Mikami alive, Light escapes — but with his injuries, he doesn't make it far. After Light collapses on a staircase in a nearby abandoned warehouse. Ryuk returns to make good on a promise from the beginning of the series.
As the Kira Task Force searches nearby buildings and Misa Amane stands atop a skyscraper (possibly to commit suicide), Light Yagami dies of cardiac arrest...per the rules of the Death Note.
Tropes used in this episode:
- Alas, Poor Villain: More like Villain Protagonist. After all that Light had worked for, he's suddenly in a position where he has no one to turn to and everyone on the taskforce knows who and what he is. He tries in vain to make them see his way, but no one is willing to listen to him. He makes one last desperate attempt to get rid of the remaining "obstacles" in his path, but he gets fired upon by the last person he expected to turn on him. Some fans think that his defeat here is pretty sad and makes him sympathetic.
- Ambiguous Situation: Near may or may not have used the Death Note to kill Light and Mikami. Matsuda theorized that he did, but there's no confirmation.
- Berserk Button: Light really shouldn't have insulted his own father while Matsuda was holding him at gunpoint.
- Berserker Tears: Matsuda has this while shooting down Light.
- Big Sleep: One of the bigger differences from the manga. Originally, once Light realized that Ryuk just sealed his fate by writing his name down, he started pleading for his life and Dies Wide Open. For this ending, he just shuts his eyes as he dies on the stairs.
- Bookends/Call Back: Ryuk returns to Light at the end to fulfill the promise made when the two first met — by writing Light's name in the Death Note.
- The Dog Bites Back: After all the abuse of the series, Matsuda fires back.
- Driven to Suicide: Mikami stabs himself in the chest with a pen, which distracted the police long enough for Light to run out the door. This never happened in the manga and Mikami ended up rejecting Light when he realized that he was never God.
- It's strongly implied that Misa does this after Light dies.
- Dying Alone: Light's fate in the end.
- Dying as Yourself: It's implied that maybe in his last moments, Light realized what he had done and was himself for the last moments of his life.
- Laughing Mad: Light, upon getting irritated with Near boasting him to talk his way out. Brad Swaile says that this was the biggest laugh he prepared himself for.
- Motive Rant: After revealing himself as Kira, Light tries to sway the others with how the world needs Kira to handle crime.
- Odd Name Out: This is the only episode to have more than one word in the title.
- This Cannot Be!: Light said this when Near reveals he has the real Death Note all along.
- Villainous Breakdown: Light goes into this upon finally running out of plans and being cornered.