Recap: Death Note Ep 05 Tactics
Penber tells Light that he's under orders to investigate a case. Therefore, he promises him not to tell the police force about all this, especially his own father. Light agrees to keep this a secret. As soon as he left, he thinks it's all according to plan.As soon as Penber gets home from work, his fiancée has suspicions on her own about the highjacking bus incident. Realizing what she's thinking, he brushes this off, having reminded her many times she's not a FBI agent anymore so don't get involve in the Kira case. He reminds her that's the promise she made when they arrive in Japan so that he can meet her parents. She apologizes for this force of habit, but Penber apologizes as well, and says to just forget about this argument.At night, Light has decided to spare Penber for the week and sends another message to L. On the following week, he is in the subway to test out an experiment: if he writes down the cause of death first before the name is written down, it will happen. As soon as Penber enters, he gets him to write down the names of 12 FBI agents who are investigating the Kira case under L. While in the middle of this, Penber seems to get suspicious of Light's voice. He walks away from the train, then he suddenly gets a heart attack. No one in the station seems to notice that. Looking back at the train, he realizes Light is in the train before dying.
This episodes provides examples of:
- Bystander Syndrome:
- Raye Penber dies in a crowded subway station. Nobody spares him a glance let alone stops to help.
- Early on, this is his opinion on his fiancée getting suspicious on the bus jacking incident.
- Conspicuous Trenchcoat: Raye Penber wears one.
- Criminal Mind Games: "L, did you know Shinigami love apples" Subverted in that really he just sent it to trick and irritate L.
- Death by Secret Identity
- Dropped a Bridge on Him
- Evil Gloating: "Farewell, Raye Penber."
- False Reassurance: Light reassures Penber he will let him go as soon as he's done. Wrong.
- Giggling Villain: Light.
- I Have Your Wife: Subverted, he's doesn't have any hostage at the point.
- In the Hood: The way Light is dressed up he's either ready to kill FBI agents or play Assassin's Creed.
- No Name Given: Penber's fiancée until episode 7.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Killing the FBI agents is the starting point.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Penber to his fiancée.