Recap / Death Note Ep 04 Pursuit
Ryuk has told Light about a deal between humans and Shinigami: Shinigami eyes for half of the lifespan. Light refuses the deal, regardless. He even joked about getting wings. Suddenly, he gets an idea about how to get the shadow who's following him. Remembering one of the rules of using the Death Note is that a death would happen when he wrote down the person's name and details, he decided to put it to the test on some criminals.
Soichiro is working in his office to get the news that criminals die of heart attacks, but not before they do strange stuff. L finds that out as well, and thinks Kira can now manipulate people's actions before their deaths. He tells the chief not to release that news to the public.
Tropes used in this episode:
- Couldn't Find a Pen: when controlling his victims Light has them cut themselves and write on the prison walls with their own blood.
- Deadly Upgrade: The Shinigami Eye Deal where a Death Note owner can trade away half their lifespan to a Shinigami for the ability to see people's names above their heads. Light decides "It's out of the question."
- How Do I Shot Web?: Light experiments with his Death Note.
- I Was Just Joking: Light jokes with Ryuk on wanting to get Shinigami wings.
- Mind-Control Device: Light practices using the notebook's power of controlling his victims before death.
- Playing with Puppets: Light does this when testing the extent he can control people with the notebook.
- Sufficiently Analyzed Magic: Light discovers uses for the notebook that even Ryuk (says he) didn't know.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Soichiro's opinion on Kira being able to manipulate his victims before their deaths.