Playing With: Yoko Oh No
Basic Trope: (In-Universe) A character's friends resent a new love interest for "breaking up the band".
Back to Yoko Oh No
- Straight: Zack has just met Yoko, and within days the two are Sickeningly Sweethearts. Zack's friends Alice and Bob wonder What Does He See in Her?, and scheme to get him back together with his ex, Xena.
- Exaggerated: Alice and Bob have to be physically restrained from attacking Yoko on sight.
- Downplayed: Alice and Bob are initially suspicious and catty towards Zack's new girlfriend.
- Justified: Alice and Bob are in a band with Zack, "The Power Trio", and they just scored a record deal, but since he hooked up with a groupie he's stopped turning up to practice sessions, jeopardizing their Big Chance.
- Zack's new girlfriend hates his friends, thinking he spends too much time with them and that they're trying to turn him against her.
- Zack's new girlfriend, Yoko, manages to keep the previously fractious band together, and is appreciated by the band for being able to do so.
- Zack's new girlfriend, Yoko, is a Tomboy Fiery Redhead animal of a dummer who becomes a Creator Couple with Zack, who Bob and Alice appreciate for what she brings to Team Dad Zack, shaking up his world and filling a missing slot to the band.
- Subverted: Zack warns Yoko about his friends, secretly worried that Alice and Bob will treat her like they did poor, dead Ysabel, but they're perfectly friendly.
- Double Subverted: ...until it turns out they've been Gaslighting her, hoping to drive her crazy so Zack will go off her.
- The trope is played as a Does This Remind You of Anything? for Parent with New Paramour, as Team Dad Zack tries to get poor Alice and Bob to understand that, while Yoko is never going to replace Xena, he loves her very much and he hopes they can learn to love her too...
- Yoko is perfectly sweet, lovely, and friendly. Bob and Alice react to her every effort to try and make friends as if she were Satan.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Alice and Bob are genuinely delighted to meet Zack's new girlfriend. They even invite her along to their next band practice.
- Alice and Bob hold no particular feelings towards Yoko, and regard her as just another person they know.
- Enforced: The writer is an ardent Beatles fan who wants to write a transparent Expy of Yoko Ono.
- Lampshaded: "Don't mind my friends, they hate every girl I meet at first"
- Invoked: Zack thinks his friends don't appreciate him enough, so pretends to be in a deeply involved relationship with a suspiciously never-seen new girlfriend, hoping they'll realize they take him for granted.
- Exploited: Zack is sick of being in a band with Alice and Bob, and is happy to use his new girlfriend as an excuse.
- Defied: Alice stops bitching about Yoko with Bob, realising that they're being silly and jealous, and she's probably perfectly nice.
- Discussed: "Oh god, you're in a band? Your bandmates are going to hate me, aren't they..."
- Conversed: "Alice and Bob are acting like their dad just got remarried..."
Back to Yoko Oh No