Playing With: Theme Naming
: A group of characters have themed names.
- Straight: The main characters in the RPG Tales of Troperion are King, Ace, Joker, Jack, and Queen.
- Exaggerated: Every character in Tales of Troperion has a card-related name (e.g. Bluff, Suit, Old Maid...)
- Downplayed: Only the Terrible Trio have themed names: Ace, Queen, and Jack.
- The five protagonists come from a kingdom where card games are very popular.
- They are the protagonists code-names, or a case of Everyone Calls Him Barkeep
- Inverted: Aerith and Bob
- Subverted: It seems everyone is named for cards ... then they meet Bob.
- Double Subverted: But Bob's last name is Cardington.
- Parodied: Even animals, places and objects had card-themed names. Or, the heroes have card-themed names and normal nicknames/codenames
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Nobody's name is themed after anything.
- Enforced: "We want to link the protagonists together quick and easy, so name them after cards or something."
- Lampshaded: "Why is everyone named for some card-related thing?"
- Invoked: Before setting out on their first mission, the heroes decide on themed code names for efficency or Rule of Cool
- Exploited: The Big Bad offs one of the minions for being named similar to the heroes, thinking he is either The Mole or will do a Heel-Face Turn.
- Defied: One of the heroes rejected the code name suggestion, thinking the idea to be silly.
- Discussed: "You're Ace? So who are they? Queen and Jack? Ha." "...Yes."
- Conversed: "Everyone's named after a card? What's the setting? Deckdiem?"
- Deconstructed: People grew paranoid of the heroes as their theme naming give off an Uncanny Valley resemblance, as if they were built by a Psychopathic Manchild.
- Reconstructed: That was until it was clear that their theme naming are just their nicknames.
Back to Theme Naming