: The character that everyone loves to see suffer.
- Straight: Jason constantly slips into puddles of water...
- Downplayed: Butt Monkey
- ...but it turns out he's cursed to have this kind of bad luck for the rest of his life. And it's funny.
- ...but later it turns out he actually deserved what he got, and so it's back to the usual.
- Zig Zagged: Jason can run the gamut from Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist Cosmic Plaything to the show's biggest woobie...and back, all at the drop of a hat. He may or may not be a Jerkass Woobie on average.
- Averted: Jason isn't any more or less lucky than the rest of the main cast.
- Enforced: "Hmm...We need a character for people to purge their sadistic tendencies on! That'll keep the ratings up!"
- Lampshaded: "I seem to spend most of the time getting the shit kicked out of me... and everyone likes it!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- The character gets depressed and is Driven to Suicide. Oh well, so much that.
- The character is a victim of the Universe itself, who frames him up against the Cosmic Plaything, who wants revenge on him. However, the Cosmic Plaything only triumphs when he is disciplined, and always fails when he is emotional. Revenge is an emotional activity, so he only could torment The Chew Toy, but never really kill him. In other words, he complies with the Rule of Drama: All the things that happens to The Chew Toy are bad enough to advance the plot, but never bad enough to kill him.
- Reconstructed: He's an Iron Butt Monkey.
Back to The Chew Toy