Playing With: Spy Catsuit
Basic Trope: A tight-fitting suit used for spying or any other activities.
Back to Spy Catsuit
- Straight: Layla has a suit that fits her body.
- Exaggerated: Layla can't even fit into the suit without some special procedure. (e.g. the suit is "painted" on, or put on in a manner similar to shrinkwrap.)
- Downplayed: Layla wears a surprisingly Form-Fitting Wardrobe for missions.
- Layla uses a water-based infiltration method necessitating a wetsuit of some sort.
- The suit is explained as having some special feature (optical camouflage, power assist, etc.) that requires it to be so tight.
- Layla plans on wearing a context-appropriate disguise whenever possible, but she dons a tight-fitting base layer (skimpy enough to not show above her clothing) containing a GPS tracker, hidden Emergency Weapons and other utilities just in case she needs to quick-change and doesn't have time for an inventory shuffle. She also wants something which is waterproof and allows for the navigation of Laser Hallways. Of course, for obvious if unfortunate reasons, she'll still end up in that skimpy catsuit for most of the mission.
- Inverted: Layla suits up for her infiltration in extremely bulky gear designed to maximize her ability to carry weapons or equipment, keep her warm, and/or obscure her profile at a distance etc.
- Layla puts on a catsuit, but then proceeds to don heavier, bulkier gear over it.
- The catsuit is shown in the ready room, but Layla ignores it — it's actually Larry's, who proceeds to don it.
- Double Subverted: ...Only Layla later has to abandon the heavier layers during the mission.
- All female spies must take a class on how to properly don a catsuit in order to graduate spy academy.
- Larry asks Layla how she can possibly fight in that thing. "Fight? Why would I need to do that?" Every guard they encounter takes one look at Layla, goes bug-eyed and faints.
- Layla misunderstands the concept, and shows up to the stealth mission wearing a silly cat-mascot full-body costume! And the weirdest thing is that it works, because she becomes practically invisible due to Unusually Uninteresting Sight being in full effect.
- Zig Zagged: Layla starts off her mission in bulky combat gear. But then she's forced to strip down to her catsuit in order to swim across the lake to the villain's mansion. But it's too conspicuous to sneak about the grounds in, so she knocks out a guard and steals his clothing. But then she's captured and reduced to her catsuit when escaping. Her cover thoroughly blown, she happens across the armory and decides "Space Marine" is really her style...
- Averted: Layla wears normal clothing for where she's going to be in order to blend in better. She keeps her gear in her pockets.
- Invoked: Layla uses seduction as one of her tactics, and wears a catsuit on missions for this purpose.
- Exploited: During her mission, Layla suddenly realizes the seduction potential of her otherwise-arbitrary catsuit and utilizes it later on to exploit a sleazy guard.
- Layla refuses to wear the standard-issue catsuit, perhaps citing that she can't fit all the gear she needs in it.
- "No way, I am not going to show off my body with this catsuit, you pervs!"
- Discussed: Layla is talking with the armorer and wonders if she is due for a catsuit. He retorts that This Is Reality.
- Conversed: Layla is watching a spy drama in her spare time, and mentions how she wishes she could fill out her uniform as nicely as the actress does.
- Deconstructed: The reason why Layla must wear a catsuit is because of a sexist rule in her spy agency that states all female agents must dress that way. It doesn't give a lot of protection. Many other female spies simply refuse to wear it, and derogatively refer to those who do as "Bond girls", implying they rely on seduction rather than infiltration or proper intelligence work.
- Reconstructed: Layla does often seduce her male enemies into doing what she wants them to do, and she sees no shame in that. Her favourite joke is that "a spy is only as good as her assets"...
- Played For Laughs: Layla doesn't care about the catsuit, but is happy to trade quips with her squad members and/or enemies about it.
- Played For Drama: Because of her catsuit, the male members of Layla's team constantly ogle at her and treat her as a sex object, rather then a partner and/or a friend. During one mission, she forgoes the catsuit and starts wearing a more conservative outfit. She eventually criticizes the male members of her team and calls them "lonely basement-dwelling perverts". That's enough to make them leave her alone. But between the ogling and the outburst, working as a team becomes tense, at best.
Back to Spy Catsuit