Playing With: Relax-o-Vision
Basic Trope: A clip of cute or relaxing things is shown instead of violent footage
Back to Relax-o-Vision
- Straight: Neil says to his victim "I'm gonna dismember you", and takes out a chainsaw. Then, a clip of kittens playing is shown, with the text "The footage is too violent for your tastes, so enjoy kittens playing in the meantime".
- Exaggerated: Whenever somebody is about to slam a door, a clip of kittens playing is shown.
- Downplayed: A Gory Discretion Shot is performed by panning the camera away to the blue sky outside the window of the room where Neil is murdering his victim.
- The scene really is too horrific, and has actually traumatized viewers in the past.
- Neil put the clip there himself to avoid detection from authority.
- Inverted: Chuchoka and Fluffy, two Ridiculously Cute Critters are about to hug each other. Then, a clip of a Mighty Lumberjack ripping the head off a grizzly bear with his teeth is shown, with the text "The actual footage is dangerously cute for a man to see, so enjoy this violent scene in the meantime."
- When Neil sees the Relax o Vision, he breaks a fourth wall and tears the sign down to continue showing his violent act in front of the camera.
- Neil says to his victim "I'm gonna dismember you", and takes out a chainsaw. Then, a clip of kittens playing is shown, with the text "The footage is too violent for your tastes, so enjoy kittens playing in the meantime". Then one of the kittens takes out a chainsaw...
- Double Subverted: ...Until another sign is promptly placed.
- An upcoming horrible image is replaced by an even worse one.
- Or: The image of Neil dismembering someone with a chainsaw is replaced with a clip of kittens. The soundtrack is left unchanged.
- Kittens act out the dismemberment scene.
- Zig Zagged: Neil's pulling out his chainsaw and a sign with cute kitties appears with the message "Please wait for a while, watch these cute kitties in the meantime." Then one of the kittys pulls out a chainsaw, and get another sign saying "Sorry, wrong sign. THESE are the kitties." Then one of the kitties pulls out a spiky stick and shoves it into another kitty's —-... And we return to Neil, just to find out he's still not finished.
- Averted: Relax-o-Vision does not appear when Neil dismembers the victim with a chainsaw.
- Enforced: Ratings need to be kept low.
- Lampshaded: "How is it that every time we get in a fight, we get replaced by felines?"
- Invoked: "Whatever is about to happen, it's not going to be pretty. Alice, stay here with the kids. Please, make sure they don't look away from those kittens!"
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Neil breaks the Fourth Wall, and makes sure the cute kittens do not show up.
- Discussed: "Where's that fluffy kitten video when you need it?"
- Conversed: "OMG!!! Why do we have to see this and not something much less horrifying?!"
- Deconstructed: The kittens are shown to have been horribly abused by Neil and are crying for help.
- Reconstructed: ...after which they're promptly shown being happily adopted.
Back to Relax-o-Vision