Playing With: Prince Charmless
Basic Trope: Royal Brat who serves as an obvious Wrong Guy First for the unfortunate Love Interest.
Back to Prince Charmless
- Straight: Prince Dikliss has an Arranged Marriage with Princess Velvet; however, he's a self-absorbed Upper-Class Twit who's nothing like the polite, gentlemanly Prince Kelvin.
- Exaggerated: Prince Dikliss is a completely worthless Jerkass whose sole redeeming feature is his rank — if you care about that sort of thing.
- Downplayed: He's not a total jerkass but he's much less genteel than his rank would suggest.
- Justified: Prince Dikliss has never needed to act like a decent person.
- Inverted: See Prince Charming
- Double Subverted: ...However, the decency turns out to be little more than a facade that he soon drops around Velvet or others to gloat.
- Parodied: Dikliss is such an Upper-Class Twit that he plunges deep into Cloud Cuckoolander territory.
- Zig Zagged: Dikliss is a jerk due to his bad background; Velvet dislikes him at first, but comes to pity him and works on helping him become a better person. The two eventually bond, forming a true Love Triangle; however, Dikliss grows jealous of Kelvin and plots to get rid of him.
- Averted: Prince Dikliss has his good and his bad points.
- Enforced: The writers want to teach An Aesop that wealth does not automatically make people classy, gracious, or polite.
- Lampshaded: "My dear prince, how adorable I find your belching."
- Invoked: Serpentus, Dikliss' Evil Chancellor, deliberately groomed him into a jerk as part of a plot to discredit the royal family.
- Exploited: Prince Kelvin tricks Velvet's father into engaging her to Prince Dikless so that when he appears to save her from the unwanted marriage, Velvet will be grateful.
- Serpentus deliberately avoided this, planning instead to make him into a puppet ruler — meaning he's more useful if he's well liked before taking the throne.
- Princess Velvet runs away from home to avoid her forced marriage with Prince Dikliss, fully expecting him to be a jackass.
- Discussed: "I wouldn't want to marry Dikliss, even though he is a prince. He's such a prick."
- Conversed: "Man, Dikliss is a douchebag in this story. He's just like Prince Humperdink."
- Deconstructed: Dikliss is unpleasant thanks to spending his whole life dealing with the Deadly Decadent Court, constantly manipulated by everyone around him and treated as little more than a convenient pawn; a means to an end. His Arranged Marriage to Velvet is just another instance of this, something he greatly resents and can't help thinking of whenever he sees her.
- Reconstructed: ...He's still a prick, though, and Velvet doesn't want anything to do with him. Not when she has a nice guy like Kelvin around.
Back to Prince Charmless