Playing With: Nerves of Steel
: A character maintains a calm facade and/or continues to be able to think and reason while under pressure.
- Straight: Smith develops a strategy in the midst of fighting Drake despite being scared.
- Exaggerated: Smith calmly performs complicated mathematical calculations in his head in order to disarm a nuclear bomb that's at ten seconds on the clock while under heavy machine gun fire, with sirens and strobe lights going off around him.
- Downplayed: Smith is too stupid and/or absentminded to recognize threats against him, and thus does not fear anything.
- Smith is actually a cyborg, or has endured enough stressful incidents in the past to have deadened nerves.
- A very important part of Smith's training was devoted to develop a fortitude that would allow him to keep his calm even under the most stressful situations; an important skill that professionals in real life, like combat pilots, have to attain in order to excel at their jobs.
- Inverted: Smith breaks down in tears after stubbing his toe.
- Subverted: Smith is dealt a critical injury, and breaks down under threat of his imminent death...
- Double Subverted: ...but gets back up, steels himself and carries out the plan.
- Parodied: Drake brings about the end of the world. Smith decides to have a nonchalant Spot of Tea as he watches.
- Zig Zagged: Smith is stoic and fearless when facing down Drake's demon army, but runs in fear from an insect on the ground.
- Averted: Drake summons his ultimate demon, a 200 foot hellbeast. Smith panics and runs away.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Heh, that guy is a pretty cool customer. I have to wonder how much he's really scared by all this."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Smith is used as an example by his superiors, so other soldiers strive to emulate his fortitude.
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
Back to Nerves of Steel
. Whatever you encounter there, stay calm and keep your wits about you.