: A character who assumes the villain's role out of necessity. Usually to prevent the Evil Power Vacuum
or to counter a greater kind of evil.
- Straight: Sally's country is ruled by Bob, an evil dictator and figures the only way to stop him is to become a dictator herself and overpower him.
- Exaggerated: Sally's country is ruled by Bob, an evil dictator and figures the only way to stop her is wanton murder and destruction of anything having to do with that dictator.
- Justified: Trying to do the right thing to stop Bob is never enough and leaves Sally feeling with no choice but to do this particular course of actions.
- Inverted: Alice is a bad person by nature, but circumstances force her to do good to bring about a greater evil.
- Subverted: Sally doesn't care about doing good and really is just as selfish and evil as Bob.
- Double Subverted: But only because she's Becoming the Mask. She started out good, but became hardened, cynical and possibly even crazy by years of doing bad things.
- Parodied: In order to achieve a noble goal, Alice must play Bob's role as the villain who jaywalks.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: ???
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Sally refuses to do anything evil to stop Bob as she knows it won't actually change the problem with the system, it'll just replace one dictator with another.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Sally finally overthrows Bob but not only does she do actions that make her just as evil as him, but it sends out a message that only evil can beat evil, which results in a never ending cycle of evil dictators being overthrown again and again and ultimately, nothing ever actually changes.
- Sally overthrows Bob, but her deception is exposed to the world and the people erupt into utter chaos and anarchy in the aftermath.
- Sally goes so over the deep end about what is acceptable as Necessary, she becomes the Well-Intentioned Extremist.
- Reconstructed: Sally realizes that the necessity of the evil doesn't negate the evilness of it, and once Bob is overthrown, she accepts her fate and turns herself in once a stable new regime is formed.
Back to Necessarily Evil