: A character, usually a villain, loses his complex motive in favor of a simpler one.
- Straight: Green Fist, a well-meaning eco-terrorist in Season 1, starts doing things more for fun in Season 5.
- Exaggerated: Green Fist starts off as a nice guy, donating to green charities, promoting environmentalist movements, etc. He becomes a Complete Monster in his second appearance.
- Downplayed: Green Fist, a well-meaning eco-terrorist in Season 1, starts doing things more out of his ego in Season 5.
- Justified: The Dark Side Will Make You Forget
- Inverted: Black Blight starts off wanting to kill all plant life for kicks, but later gains a more complex reason.
- Subverted: Green Fist remembers his reason in Season 6.
- Double Subverted: Only to forget in Season 7.
- Parodied: Green Fist starts off as a humanitarian (And no not that kind of humanitarian), then quickly becomes a Card-Carrying Villain.
- Zig-Zagged: And because of a war between the writers, alternates every new season depending on who's writing him.
- Averted: Green Fist is still as complex as ever even as the show enters Season 21.
- By having him start with a noble motivation, the writers can make Green Fist seem more complex. By removing that complexity after it has made the character more accepted, they make him simpler to write.
- The story has An Aesop about obsession.
- Lampshaded: "Something tells me this isn't about the environment any more..."
- Invoked: Someone is manipulating Green Fist to move away from his original goal.
- Exploited: Bob gives Green Fist a Breaking Speech about the way that his original goals have been corrupted, causing him to surrender.
- Defied: Green Fist resolves to remember what the mission is about.
- Discussed: "So...do you remember why you even started all this?" "...what?"
- Conversed: "Yep, Green Fist has totally lost it. This show has totally jumped."
- Deconstructed: No one in Green Fist's army respects him anymore, as they feel he has lost sight of his goals. They thus plan to overthrow him.
- Reconstructed: The above, but instead of overthrowing him, they intend to remind him of his goal. He may or may not remember.
- Plotted A Good Waste: Green Fist has lost so many times to the heroes, he has developed a vendetta against them. What started as a simple mission to save the environment has degenerated into a pursuit for revenge.
What was I going to go back to Motive Decay
for? Eh, who cares? Muhahahaha!