Playing With: Machiavelli Was Wrong
: Ruling by fear doesn't work as well as ruling with love.
- Straight: Emperor Evulz rules with an iron fist. He's surprised when Charlie Heel Face Turns to Bob's side.
- Exaggerated: Evulz throws Charlie in jail for leaving a speck of dirt on his weapons; Charlie escapes and joins Bob, who was waiting outside.
- Downplayed: Emperor Evulz is slightly surprised when Charlie defects, but not very.
- Charlie realizes that even if he manages to survive under Evulz's rule, he'd still rather be happy on Bob's side.
- Charlie hates being controlled this way.
- Inverted: Evulz is actually the better ruler and his people are happier.
- Subverted: Bob's forces look like they'll win the war when they're overwhelmed at the last moment by Evulz's reinforcements.
- Double Subverted:
- Bob has a new superweapon which blows the enemies to pieces.
- Fearing Evulz's oppression and not wishing to be captured, Bob's forces fight even harder at the sight of Evulz's reinforcements and manage to win the day.
- Evulz yells at Charlie. As he leaves the throne room, he's stopped by a rebel recruiter who promises that Bob won't threaten his friends and family like Alice. And he'll give him cookies.
- Evulz's method of instilling terror into his underlings' hearts consist of wearing a spooky mask and jumping out behind them. Most of them don't last a week under command and he always wonders why they leave so soon.
- Zig Zagged: At first, Evulz appears to be a loving ruler, but it soon turns out that he actually rules through fear. It's then revealed that he's doing this for the good of the people. It's later found out that many people have figured it out and love him anyway.
- It's unknown as to what kind of leaders Evulz and Bob are, as neither one of them is shown actually leading.
- Evulz and Bob are leaders of groups where the people have no choice but to follow them.
- Both Evulz and Bob are tyrants or well-loved, and neither is better or worse in terms of fairness.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Don't you know that you can't rule through fear? It never works out in the end."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Bob convinces Charlie to join his side because Evulz was so mean to Charlie.
- Defied: Evulz knows what would happen if he causes his people to fear him, so she makes sure to treat them fairly.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Well, Evulz might have the upper hand now, but did you see what he did to poor Charlie? He'll lose in the end".
- Played For Laughs: Evulz gives out Cool And Unusual Punishments to her people and one of them leads to his downfall.
- Played For Drama: Evulz loses the war and realizes how far he fell due to his ruthlessness.
Back to Machiavelli Was Wrong