Playing With: Headbutting Heroes
Basic Trope: Two heroes dislike each other.
Back to Headbutting Heroes
- Straight: Steve and Pete are both heroes, despite the fact they hate each other.
- Exaggerated: Steve and Pete are superheroes, despite the fact that they have an epic battle every time they meet.
- Downplayed: Although they don't hate each other, Steve and Pete don't like each other either.
- Steve is a Lawful Good cape who does not kill, while Pete is an Chaotic Good Anti-Hero who often shoots the dog. Their personalities are too vastly different for them to be good friends.
- Steve and/or Pete is a Good Is Not Nice character and Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Steve always believes in obeying the law no matter what while Pete believes in just doing the right thing even if he has to rebel against it.
- Steve and Pete come from different races who had a bad history with each other; they took this to account.
- Steve or Pete had done something that would tarnish their heroism; even after one of them redeemed themselves, the other refuses to let it go.
- Steve and Pete are rivals whose egos clash easily.
- Double Subverted: But then, Steve pisses off Pete, turning the two into enemies again.
- Parodied: The two have contests of "Heroics", with each trying to out-hero the other, while inadvertently causing Amusing Injuries to by-standers.
- Zig Zagged: Steve and Pete hate each others' guts in one episode, but they team up to fight the Big Bad and become friends, only to fall out with each other again. This cycle repeats itself for the entire season.
- Averted: Steve and Pete don't hate each other.
- Enforced: "This show needs more drama! How about we make the two heroes hate each other?"
- Lampshaded: "Geez, and I thought all heroes were buddy-buddy with one another..."
- Invoked: Pete knows that Steve disapproves of his methods, and uses this knowledge to goad Steve into defeating The Dragon for him, whilst he takes on the Big Bad himself.
- Exploited: The Big Bad pits the Steve and Pete against each other in order to distract them from his plot to Take Over the World.
- Defied: "That's absurd! Just because we never see eye to eye on how to fight villains doesn't mean we hate each other!"
- Discussed: "When will those two get along already? I'm so tired of them fighting each other."
- Conversed: "It's always got to be heroes who always hate each other in shows like this."
- Deconstructed: The enmity between Steve and Pete causes them to neglect their duties in order to one-up the other. The Rogues Gallery takes this time to cause major damage.
- Reconstructed: Steve and Pete learn to put aside their differences and defeat the villains and they are back on track in their duties. Even if they still hate each other, it isn't as bad as before.
Back to Headbutting Heroes