: Superfluous goggles.
- Straight: A character has goggles that do nothing.
- A character has dozens of different goggles, none of which do anything.
- Or, the goggles do nothing. Not even the thing that they were designed to do.
- Downplayed: Bob is a swimmer in Troperville High School's swim team. His goggles do something. Except he's often shown wearing them when not at the pool.
- The item in question has an archaic use and is kept to identify members of the group that had use for the goggles.
- The character wears goggles purely as a fashion statement.
- Inverted: Goggles Do Something Unusual.
- Subverted: After being asked, the character reveals that their goggles do, in fact, have a use.
- Double Subverted: That use is to look cool.
- Parodied: A character buys special goggles that are advertised to do absolutely nothing.
- Zig Zagged: The character wears a pair of goggles on their head. Thy do nothing. However, one of their Too Many Belts contains everything they could possibly need... including an oxyacetylene torch. When they use that, they're always careful to pull on their goggles to protect their eyes.
- Averted: The character needs their goggles for protection in their line of work, and uses them frequently.
- Enforced: The marketing department want the artists to maximise The Merch potential. Alternatively, the artist can draw Only Six Faces, and uses distinctive costuming to tell his characters apart.
- Lampshaded: "Let me just get some goggles, despite the fact that we will not be encountering any situation where they would help."
- Invoked: Like a stethoscope and white coat for a doctor, useless goggles give the impression of being Crazy-Prepared and thus solid hero material.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: A character repeatedly finds different uses for their seemingly superfluous goggles.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Why's Bob wearing goggles, he NEVER uses them!"
- Deconstructed: A character wears superfluous instrumentation because they are, all in all, a follower and a poser, and it's all just another element of their character that is Lost in Imitation of heroes who actually had a use for these things.
- Reconstructed: A character uses superfluous mundane goggles to disguise the fact that he has ones that really do have special powers.
You know, if the Goggles Do Nothing
you might try PUTTING THEM ON for a change.