: A car is rigged to explode when started.
- Straight: Bob walks to his car, puts his key in the ignition... *BOOM*
- Alice wishes Bob a nice trip, and laughs an Evil Laugh. A long shot shows him approaching his car. The camera focuses on the key in the ignition while Ominous Music plays. The car explodes with an Earth-Shattering Kaboom.
- Every vehicle in the car park is rigged to blow when the target starts his car.
- Downplayed: ???
- Justified: The enemy is an ex-IRA explosives expert now working as a car mechanic, and wants to make sure no-one ever identifies the body.
- Bob rigs a remote-detonated bomb to go off when he starts his own car, perhaps to destroy his office if he has to make a quick getaway.
- alternatively: Bob's car is rigged to explode when he stops.
- Subverted: Bob had found the bomb before time and moved it to his enemy's vehicle. They watch him drive off, and jump in their own car...
- Double Subverted: ...just to retrieve the remote control for the backup bomb they put in his glovebox.
- Parodied: Bob gets on a pushbike, kicks up the stand, and the bike explodes.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Someone waits near the car until Bob shows up, and Just Shoots Him.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "If only Bob hadn't turned that ignition key. Then he'd still be alive."
- Invoked: A mob boss doesn't want a snitch going anywhere, so he sends some dodgy-looking mechanics to tinker underneath the guy's car when he knows he'll see them.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Whew, when Big Tony gave me the keys to a new car I kinda thought it would be a trap..."
- Discussed: "50 quid says the car explodes when I turn the ignition"
- Conversed: "So the Mafia supergrass is letting his girlfriend bring the car around for him. Sheee's dead."
Back to External Combustion