: A character gives an example of how his/her culture is better than anyone else's.
- Straight: Bob discusses how his nation of Tropestan has made numerous advances in the arts, medicine, science, math, literature, cooking, etc.
- Exaggerated: Bob accentuates this by putting down some other nation/ethnic group/religion/etc. in his rant, no doubt invoking Godwin's Law and a bunch of stereotypes.
- Downplayed: Bob has some traditional Tropestani equipment and training he's extremely proud of, but doesn't act as if everything good came out of Tropestan.
- Justified: The discussion is a serious discussion about the history of Tropestan and its people.
- Inverted: Bob discusses how his nation of Tropestan sucks.
- Bob discusses some awesome thing from Tropeland.
- When the matter of Tropestan comes up, Bob just shrugs and says it's as good as any other country.
- Double Subverted:
- Then mentions with a wink and a smile (to Alice, whom he is trying to pick up) that he is a quarter Tropelandish.
- Until some Troll starts saying how Tropestan sucks, it's an ignorant backwards place full of hicks stuck in the Dung Ages, Tropestan did Some Terrible Thing 200 Years Ago, etc. and Bob feels like he needs to defend his homeland.
- Parodied: Every other word from Bob's mouth (or fingertips if he's online) is "Tropestan"
- Zig Zagged: Bob flip flops between gushing about his homeland, Cultural Cringe and My Country, Right or Wrong.
- Averted: Bob never mentions being from Tropestan, or its achievements, even in passing.
- Enforced: Character Filibuster / Author Filibuster.
- Lampshaded: "Tropestan is soooo much better than Crapestan because..."
- Invoked: A Troll insults Tropestan
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob decides not to rant back, believing that doing so only brings him down to the troll's level.
- Discussed: "Yes, Tropestan is pretty cool. Now can we please move on?"
- Conversed: "Why does every video I find here include a history lesson-cum-Cavemen Versus Astronauts Debate in its comment thread?"
- Deconstructed: There's a time and a place for nationalism, but bringing it up in the wrong place and time comes across as being a Jerk Ass and causes a huge Internet Backdraft.
- Reconstructed: Bob knows when it's OK to bring national pride and patriotism to the table, and when doing so would just make him look like a jingoist asshole, and only discusses Tropestan's achievements in appropriate contexts. (i.e. not on music videos on YouTube)
- Played For Laughs: Tropestan, portrayed by Bob as the perfect country...doesn't even exist, nor did it ever.
- Played For Drama: A Flame War (or worse, an actual war) starts over Bob's rant.
Back to Cultural Posturing