: A character who partakes in activities or lives a lifestyle outside of what is culturally expected of them.
- Straight: Chris is a black man who prefers to listen to Heavy Metal over Hip Hop & R&B.
- Exaggerated: Chris is a black man who becomes a Metalhead who will start a riot whenever someone talks about the newest rap songs.
- Downplayed: Chris does, in fact, listen to Hip Hip & R&B, but he enjoys Heavy Metal more.
- Chris was just getting tired of listening to his culture's music and thought that he wanted to try something new for a change.
- Chris doesn't like to live by the expectations of his fellow African-Americans.
- Chris doesn't like being stereotyped as some kind of gangster from the hood.
- Inverted: Chris is a black man who is expected to listen to rock music with the other blacks, but he likes his own race's music.
- Chris was trying to fit in with his metalhead friends.
- Chris dislikes hip hop because of the lyrics, but thinks aesthetically it sounds pretty good. He later finds some hip hop songs with some good lyrics and decides that he judged the genre too rashly.
- Chris is accused of "only liking white music". He responds by saying that he's quite fond of jazz.
- Double Subverted:
- While Chris did say he disliked hip hop and R&B to fit in with his friends, he does enjoy heavy metal more.
- Chris doesn't like heavy metal. He likes country music and soft rock.
- "Jazz? What I meant to say was Jazarae, y'know, Jazarae DeLessano the French violinist."
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Chris listens to rap music as others expect him to.
- Enforced: The writer wants to make An Aesop that people don't have to be culturally inclined and they can feel free to enjoy other people's culture.
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Chris decides to avoid listening to rock music otherwise his race members will become angry with him.
- Discussed: "Man, these people don't even know how to respect their own race."
- Conversed: "So the writers have Chris listen to heavy metal? I bet he'll be branded as a traitor when they find out in the next episode."
Back to Cultural Rebel