Playing With: Cooldown Hug
Basic Trope: Bob is in the midst of some form of mental breakdown, and Alice hugs him.
Back to Cooldown Hug
- Straight: The hug makes Bob calm down and get a hold of himself.
- Exaggerated: Long-term psychological problems that would normally take years of therapy can all be fixed with a nice, big Glomp.
- Downplayed: Bob is still bawling his eyes out, but Alice's hug at least prevented Bob's breakdown from worsening.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!.
- The hug makes Bob even angrier
- Alice hugs Bob to give him a mental breakdown.
- Bob, in a fit of rage, hugs Alice.
- Bob is in pain, but restrains himself. Alice notices this and gives him a hug. This makes him drop the act and bawl his eyes out.
- The cooldown hug doesn't work, and Bob might even react badly to it, such as lashing out at Alice.
- Alternately, Alice was only hugging Bob in order to restrain him or stab him in the back.
- Interrupted Cooldown Hug.
- Double Subverted: Despite it going very badly at first, and appearing to make things worse, Alice persists in trying to give Bob a Cooldown Hug, and it eventually works.
- Parodied: Alice's hugs can soothe anybody and can end all conflicts.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Alice's hug does nothing for Bob.
- Alice never hugs Bob.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Mental Problems? Nothing a hug can't fix!"
- Invoked: Bob pretends to be freaking out to get his crush Alice hug him.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Alice decides that coming near Bob right now is a bad idea.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Bob finds the hug to be condescending, but is willing to admit that Alice cares for him and calms down. However, he eventually concludes that this action belittled his outrage and goes on to believe that Alice does not take him seriously, which just ends up making things worse.
- Reconstructed: Alice is informed about how her treatment of Bob affected him, feels genuinely sorry and lets him know that she did not mean to mock his suffering and wanted to show that she embraced him. The words soothe Bob's spirit.
Back to Cooldown Hug