Playing With: Combat Medic
Basic Trope: The Medic kicks ass.
Back to Combat Medic
- Straight: Alice wields a gun and shoots enemies when not healing others.
- Alice is the best markswoman in the universe, while also being the top surgeon.
- An army using a bomber that can drop medikits on allied lines, a battleship doubling as a naval hospital, and a tank that also serves as an ambulance. The last one is Truth in Television and called the Merkava Tankbulance, and is used by the Israeli army today.
- Downplayed: Alice knows some judo to protect herself if pressed.
- Since nobody in this universe is enforcing subsection B of the resolution of the international Geneva conference of October, 1863, Alice has to know how to defend herself.
- The enemy shot at her first, and the Geneva Conventions entitles combat medics to shoot in self-defense.
- Subverted: Alice is given a shotgun, but she can't hit the broad side of the barn with it...
- Double Subverted: Because of Short-Range Shotgun. When she switches to an assault rifle, she kicks ass.
- Parodied: Alice dismembers and mutilates enemies left and right, but gives them advice on proper medical treatment of the injuries in a worried tone of voice.
- Zig Zagged: Alice has never held a weapon in her life. When her side seems to be losing the war, she is given a shotgun and sent into the heat of battle. But she can't hit anything. Then, she switches to an assault rifle, and kicks ass. Turns out, it wasn't Alice, but rather Aerith who disguised herself as Alice to get into the heat of battle. The real Alice is nowhere to be seen... Because she is singlehandedly invading the enemy bunker.
- Averted: Alice never uses a gun.
- Lampshaded: "Nice shot, especially from a doctor!"
- Invoked: Medics are trained in wielding and given shotguns by the high command.
- Exploited: Alice's enemies shoot her to distract her from wounded soldiers. After all, if she is fighting, she is not healing.
- Defied: "I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone".
- Discussed: "But is our medic allowed to fight alongside us?" "Yes, if she doesn't mind losing her protection from Geneva conventions".
- Conversed: "A medic destroyed our lines. They pack as much firepower as an assault class, but they also have self regeneration".
- Deconstructed: Since Alice obviously broke the Hippocratic oath by killing people, she is rejected by other doctors and her former patients alike.
- Reconstructed: So she goes to the army. Since she can both heal and injure, she is a valuable team member and earns the respect of her squad.
Back to Combat Medic