: A superpowered character is rendered powerless or normal, but only temporarily.
- Straight: The Amazing Adam is a superhero with the power to wield thunder and lightning. One day, his nemesis Emperor Evulz invents a machine which leaves him powerless. Adam then has to adapt to being a normal person without his supernatural abilities. He does however, end up getting his powers back by the end of the week, when he finds the machine and turns it off. Everything is back to normal after that.
- Exaggerated: De-power
- Downplayed: Adam's powers to control electricity are somewhat weakened by Emperor Evulz machine, losing the ability to create big thunder storms, but he still can create small balls of weak electricity in his hand. It takes two months before his powers are back to full strength.
- Adam has a Kryptonite Factor which causes him to lose his abilities.
- Adam never wanted to be a superhero, and makes a Deal with the Devil on purpose to have them taken away for a week, just so he can see what its like to be a normal man.
- Adam upset the person/mentor who granted him his powers, and decided to take them away as a punishment.
- The Big Bad wants Adam out of the way so that his evil plans won't be ruined by him, and figures taking away his powers will be the best way of doing this. So, he decides to invent a machine that depowers a superhero.
- Inverted: Flowers for Algernon Syndrome
- Double Subverted: ???
- Parodied: ???
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Adam doesn't lose his powers.
- Enforced: The writers wanted to include An Aesop about how it's not strength that make someone special, but intellect and willpower.
- Lampshaded: "Damn it. I used to be able to ride a thundercloud to wherever I wanted in seconds. Now I have to take the goddamn bus. And I've missed it."
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Adam uses this as a opportunity to improve his resilience and wit, and sort out any over-reliance he might have with his powers.
- Defied: Fight Off the Kryptonite
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Laughs: Adam forgets he's lost his power and keeps trying to use them throughout the episode. Splaying out your hands and shouting a battle cry is pretty Bad Ass if a lightning bolt shoots out of your palms. If it doesn't, you just look stupid.
- Played For Drama: Without his powers, Adam goes through Heroic BSOD and starts to wonder if he ammounts to anything without his powers. He is also left more vulnerable to his enemies.
Back to Brought Down to Normal