Playing With: Bad Guys Play Pool
Basic Trope: In fiction, the villains are often shown playing pool.
Back to Bad Guys Play Pool
- Straight: A bunch of criminals are shown playing pool at the Bad-Guy Bar.
- The bad guys do nothing but play pool all day.
- Anyone who plays pool is a very evil villain.
- Regular villains are scared of the pool players, who are invariably the worst of the lot.
- Downplayed: In one scene, a few criminals are briefly shown playing pool.
- Inverted: The policemen are shown playing pool on their time off.
- Several tough guys are shown playing pool at a seedy bar, but then it's revealed they are all honest people, not criminals.
- The bad guys are shown playing pool... and then someone points out they're playing snooker.
- Double Subverted:
- The scene then cuts to the criminals' hideout, and they're also playing pool.
- The bad guys are British gangsters who are calling pool "snooker" because they don't know or care about the difference.
- Playing pool is treated as crossing the Moral Event Horizon.
- The pool balls are painted to look like bombs, skulls, and other "evil" things.
- The Mafia uses a National Pool Tournament as a cover for the underworld gathering.
- The pool is a national sport of the Great Proletarian Reich.
- The more evil someone is, the better they are at playing pool.
- Zig Zagged:
- The two characters shown playing pool are a Punch Clock Villain and a Double Reverse Quadruple Agent respectively.
- The bad guys play cue sports, but can't set on what variation to play - so one day it's some variation of pool, another day - snooker, other day - Russian billiards, another yet - straight-rail billiards, and so on.
- Averted: The bad guys play cards instead of pool.
- Enforced: The writer has bad guys playing pool because that's what bad guys always play on TV.
- Lampshaded: "I'm so bored, Jeff..." "What about playing pool? It's the most villainous game in the world, after all."
- Invoked: To avoid Bar Brawls, the owners of the Bad-Guy Bar installed a pool table as a way to entertain their patrons.
- People in need of hired thugs look among the people playing pool in bars.
- The gang leader invites a rival for a friendly game of pool in order to break the ice.
- Defied: "Alright, that's it... we're not playin' this stupid ball game today, ya mooks! I'm damn sick of it!"
- Discussed: "Any idea what Freddie is doin' today?" "Playin' pool, like he always does. I start to wonder why does our dishonest lot love pool so much..."
- Conversed: "Why do the bad guys on TV always play pool? It's like it's the national sport of Criminalland or something."
- Deconstructed: When the government catches on that bad guys love to play pool, it becomes much more strictly regulated, and anyone who likes to play pool is regarded with suspicion.
- Played For Laughs: The bad guys try to play pool... only they're as inept at it as they are at hitting the heroes in combat.
- Played For Drama: The Reverse Mole is found out when he is invited to play pool and it turns out he doesn't know how.
Back to Bad Guys Play Pool