Given that the plot of this show is a bunch of clones trying to solve a mystery, they often find themselves in very unexpected situations.
- Natural Selection
- Sarah is shocked that Beth looks exactly like her, and even more so when Beth jumps in front of a train.
- When Sarah realizes that Beth was a cop, she panics and swallows a bunch of soap in hopes of getting sick enough to go home.
- Sarah has this reaction when a shower of bullets start hitting the car out of nowhere and Katja is killed. It carries over into the start of the next episode.
- The woman that calls Sarah, later revealed to be Cosima, has this reaction when Sarah tells her that Katja is dead.
- Alison freaking out when she sees Sarah at the soccer match combines this with Berserk Button. She doesn't want her friends and family to know she's a "freak".
- Variations Under Nature
- When Sarah realizes that the police found Katja's body, she realized that her con is not as foolproof as she thought.
- Effects of External Conditions
- Conditions of Existence
- When Sarah finds strange piece of metal in her mouth and realizes that Paul was Beth's monitor.
- A minor one from Alison and Cosima when they found out that Sarah slept with Paul. However, they brush it off quickly.
- Variations Under Domestication
- Parts Developed in an Unusual Manner
- Entangled Bank
- When Delphine finds Cosima's clone related work.
- Sarah gets a massive one when she realizes that Helena has her daughter. Doubled when Kira gets hit by a car.
- Unconscious Selection
- It's subtler than the other examples, but you can see Delphine fracture a little when Cosima reveals that she knows about her involvement with the neolutionists.
- Endless Forms Most Beautiful
- "They patented us."
- Sarah finding a huge blood stain in Beth's house.
- When Sarah comes home to find the whole place trashed and empty, she realizes that Mrs. S. kidnapped Kira.
- The audience has one when Donnie turns out to have been Alison's monitor all along, especially since it means that Aynsley died for nothing.