- Indiana Jones' traitorous companion having several tarantulas on his back, which Jones casually pushes off his body, at least for the severely arachnophobic.
- Jones' traitorous assistant impaled upon the booby trap Indy and he managed to escape from earlier. His horrified expression makes it even more unnerving.
Indy: Adios, Satipo.
- Major Toht threatening to burn Marion with a poker in The Raven bar. Heck, everything with Toht is terrifying due to the Gestapo Reality Subtext that surrounds him.
Toht: Fraulein Ravenwood, let me show you what I am used to...
- The Well of Souls is this trope both for the audience and Indy. Unbelievable amounts of snakes. And mummies. And snakes slithering out of the mummies. GAH.
- It also doesn't help that there are screeching sounds as if the dead were screaming at Marion and whenever she knocks down the corpses they fall in such a way that it looked like they were trying to grab her.
- While the Ark is being transported, it makes a eerie hum before it burns the swastika on the box it's being held in. Considering what it does in the finale, what else can the Ark do with its lid on?
- Given that the Ark is an artifact of God, it is obviously very powerful.
- The (in)famous "opening of the Ark" sequence from the finale is incredibly jarring for a viewer who has thus far enjoyed an action/adventure movie with a relatively light tone. The shot of a head imploding on itself, followed by a melting face - quickly followed by an exploding head - would have been enough to give plenty of theatre-goers nightmares.
- The image of Toht's face melting used to be this page's image before it got changed. The reason (Quoted from the edit description): "Image is too scary!" That's right: even Tropers were scared.
- The moment the spirits that emerge from the Ark turn hostile is utterly nightmarish. At first, they're serene - even beautiful, as Belloq declares - and then they suddenly start to shift into skull-face terrors, snarling at those daring to look upon the open Ark. The shift in the music at this point is also rather frightening.
- On top of the visual horror, the sound of Dietrich's head imploding. You can hear his brain matter turn to goop and his bones crunching! To further add to the nightmare fuel, there's the horrific hissing sound Toht's boiling blood makes, coupled with his screams getting muffled by the gurgling of his mouth filling with blood. And those screams continue as he becomes skeletonized. Sweet dreams...
- Of all the things to remain in Area 51, the Ark is the only one that should be there. If you ever read the Bible or listened to Indy's warning, it's made pretty clear that you should NEVER OPEN THE ARK!
- Earlier in the film, a Giant Mook is chopped up by the propeller of an airplane and while it happens off-screen, the copious amounts of blood on-screen are jarring, considering the Ark scene aside, the film is rather light on blood.
- It's never made clear, but in the long shot of the plane shortly before it explodes, a large smear across the sand with some chunky bits is seen near the plane....