Music / Theocracy
Theocracy is a Christian Heavy Metal
band from Athens, Georgia in the US. Their style mixes elements of Power Metal
and Progressive Metal
with plenty of Iron Maiden
influences. The band was formed in 2002 by Matt Smith (no relation)
, who played all the instruments, performed all the vocals, and programmed the drum machine on the first self-titled album, as well as mixing and polishing it
. The band has since become an actual full band — there were three members who played on their 2008 sophomore album, Mirror Of Souls
, and there are currently five members. Their third (and arguably heaviest) album, As The World Bleeds
, was released in 2011 and marks their first release as a full band.
- Matt Smith - Vocals
- Jonathan Hinds - Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Shawn Benson - Drums
- Val Allen Wood - Lead Guitar
- Jared Oldham - Bass, Backing Vocals
- Seth Filkins - Bass, Backing Vocals
- Josh Sloan - Bass, Backing Vocals
- Patrick Parris (Lascaille's Shroud, Judicator, Project: Roenwolfe) - Bass, Backing Vocals
Studio Albums to date:
- 2003 - Theocracy: "Theocracy", "Mountain", and "Ichthus"
- 2008 - Mirror of Souls: "Mirror of Souls", "Laying the Demon to Rest", and "On Eagles' Wings"
- 2011 - As the World Bleeds: "I AM", "Nailed", and "As the World bleeds"
Not to be confused with a political Theocracy
Theocracy provides examples of:
- Book Ends: "I am" is both the first and last two words of I AM.
- Epic Rocking: Every album features at least one song over ten minutes long.
- From Theocracy: The Serpent's Kiss (11:56), The Healing Hand (11:36), and Twist of Fate (11:30)
- From Mirror of Souls: Mirror of Souls (22:26)
- From As the World Bleeds: I AM (11:00)
- Christmas Tracks: Christmas Medley (11:03) and Wynter Fever (10:23)
- Genre Roulette: Wynter Fever shifts from power metal to blues and then back again.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: A solid 7, with a few songs (such as The Victory Dance) dropping to 6. Bethlehem is arguably a 4.
- New Sound Album: Due to the the lack of a complete lineup prior to the release of As the World Bleeds, every album so far has had a distinctly new sound when compared with its predecessors.
- Power Ballad: "Sinner", "Bethlehem", "Drown", and the first half of "The Gift of Music".
- Power Metal
- Progressive Metal
- Self-Titled Album: They're called Theocracy, they have an album called Theocracy, and they just happen to have a song called Theocracy as well.
- Spoken Word in Music: "The Serpent's Kiss" and "The Master Storyteller" both include sections of sermons. "Wynter Fever" has a very quiet conversation between Festus and Santa's former head elf during the blues section. "Rudolph vs. Frosty" has a short exchange between the title characters. "All I Want for Christmas" also has one.
- Tomato in the Mirror: The narrator of Mirror of Souls learns what he really is after looking into the eponymous Mirror of Souls in the Hall of Truth.