The Everly Brothers
are Don and Phil Everly, two country
-influenced rock & roll
musicians who rose to great success in The Fifties
, and stood out with their powerful two-part harmonies; Don singing baritone, and Phil singing tenor. They are responsible for notable songs from the era such as "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up Little Susie" and "All I Have To Do Is Dream." They are incredibly
Phil Everly passed away from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on January 3, 2014.
Tropes associated with the Everly Brothers include:
- Anti Christmas Song: "Christmas Eve Can Kill You."
- Band of Relatives
- Breakup Song: "Bye Bye Love," and how.
- Career Resurrection: Briefly, upon their reunion in the 1980s.
- The Fifties
- Greatest Hits Album: No shortage of these, considering their longetivity. The first one popped up in 1959, and they're still pumping out a few a year as of 2013.
- Long Runner
- Music of Note: Quite simply, the Everly Brothers brought vocal harmonies to Rock & Roll music, paving the way for many artists who used them later, like The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Bee Gees and Simon & Garfunkel.
- Rock & Roll
- Sibling Team
- Silly Love Songs
- Shout-Out: Their song "Burma Shave" about the famous advertising campaign.
- Sleep Cute: "Wake Up Little Susie" is a deconstruction of this trope, detailing an unfortunate aftermath to this:
The movie wasn't so hot, it didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked, our reputation is shot
Wake up little Susie, wake up little Susie
What're we gonna tell your mama, what're we gonna tell your pa
What're we gonna tell our friends when they say "ooh-la-la"
- Teenage Death Songs: "Ebony Eyes," about a soldier who finds his girl has died in a plane crash just before their wedding.
- Tsundere: The song "Where Can I Meet Her" is written from the POV of someone with this attitude towards a Lovable Alpha Bitch, complete with lots of Hypocritical Humour.
She comes on like she's so high-class and well-bred
But I never saw a girl with such a swelled head
She's got herself a mighty long wait
If she thinks I'll ask her for a date
But where's she live, what's her number and how can I meet her?
- Vocal Tag Team: One of the most important in rock history.