"I knew right from the beginning
That you would end up winning
I knew right from the start
You shot an arrow through my heart"
— Ratt, "Round and Round"
Crowning Music of AwesomeRatt
are an American Hair Metal
band from San Diego, California
. They are best known for their 1984 hit single, "Round and Round," from their debut full-length album Out of the Cellar.
As always, you can find the basics about their career at The Other Wiki
"The following tropes really want to lay it down, right now.":
- Alliterative Name: Bobby Blotzer, Carlos Cavazo, Keri Kelli
- Animal Motif: The rats on the album covers, in the videos, and even in the lyrics. ("This rat cage" is mentioned in "Wanted Man.")
- The Cameo/Celebrity Star: Milton Berle appeared in the video for "Round and Round" since his nephew was the band's manager at the time.
- Also, that's Tawny Kitaen on the cover of Out of the Cellar.
- Disappeared Dad: "Mother Blues"
- The Eighties
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Among other examples, from "Chain Reaction":
"The only thing that turns me on
Will bring you to your knees"
- Golddigger: "She Wants Money"
- Greatest Hits Album: Ratt 'n Roll 81-91
- Hair Metal
- Hand or Object Underwear: The video for "Way Cool Jr." ends with a naked woman walking away from the camera down a sidewalk with a guitar covering her butt.
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: There is a song with this title on Detonator.
- Heavy Meta: "Dr. Rock"
- "I Want" Song: "I Want a Woman," "I Want to Love You Tonight," "I Want It All"
- Intercourse with You: "I Want a Woman," "Lay It Down," "Round and Round," "Body Talk," "Slip of the Lip," it doesn't end.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: A solid 5.
- Outlaw: "Wanted Man"
- Poor Communication Kills: "Lack of Communication"
- Repurposed Pop Song: "Round and Round" has been featured in The Wrestler and in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories.
- Revolving Door Band: 29 different members covering two separate versions of the band going back to 1976.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "I'm Insane."
- Self-Titled Album: Their debut EP and their 1999 album.
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Yes to all.
- Sadly, guitarist Robbin Crosby died of a heroin overdose after developing AIDS.
- Sexophone: "Way Cool Jr."
- Silly Love Songs: "You're in Love"
- Singer Namedrop: "Ratt Madness"
"RATTs and Abbott tell no tales"
"This one ratt is one to say"
- Something Blues: "Mother Blues"
- Take That: After Stephen Pearcy unsuccessfully sued Bobby Blotzer and Juan Croucier for the rights to the name "Ratt," he toured as a solo and nicknamed his band the Rat Bastards.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: From the chorus for "Scene of the Crime," which is sung seven times:
"Cold blooded bitch goin' out on me"
- Underground Comics: Originally named Mickey Ratt, after the underground comic Mickey Rat.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz
- Your Cheating Heart: "Shame Shame Shame," "Sweet Cheater"