Also known by her birth name, Olivia Lufkin
(born December 9, 1979), is a Japanese American bilingual singer-songwriter. Her musical style is recognizable for its distinct style of Alternative Rock
. Sometimes, if not often, her lyrics are quite symbolic
but it's up to the listener and see what to make of it.
Her early days involved being in a Japanese idol group (D&D
) where in which, its songs and music had a very
different sound to what she'll be singing several years later. After they disbanded, she continued on as a solo artist and began to sing songs with a more pop-rock sound. As time went by, she started to create her own songs. She received mainstream success (and is best known) for creating songs for the fictional band Trapnest
from the animated adaptation of NANA
, under the alias of Olivia Inspi' Reira (Trapnest)
See her sister, Caroline
- [2000.06.12] Synchronicity
- [2004.02.18] The Lost Lolli
- [2007.02.28] Olivia Inspi' Reira (Trapnest)
- [2003.02.21] Internal Bleeding Strawberry
- [2003.06.27] Merry&Hell Go Round
- [2003.09.12] Comatose Bunny Butcher
- [2003.12.03] Return of the Chlorophyll Bunny
- [2007.01.01] The Cloudy Dreamer
- [2008.09.17] Trinka Trinka
Provides examples of:
- Alternative Rock: One of the best examples. She has a sister - Caroline Lufkin - who is more on straightforward Alternative and quite indie.
- Bilingual Bonus
- But Not Too Foreign: Daughter of an American father and a Japanese mother.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Some songs in English, obviously in her much darker ones.
- Darker and Edgier: In 2003 is when she really started to kick it when she collaborated with her brother, Jeffrey Lufkin.
- Harsh Vocals
- Idol Singer
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Sugarbloodsuckers. First, the song is heavily doused with static and then you hear her vocals that sound quite suggestive. The song starts to get louder and after her screaming, she starts to sing. It's not mumbling—there are lyrics to the song to prove it. It'll still be hard to make out and comprehend once you realize that it's merely filled with a Cluster F-Bomb.
- Letters 2 Numbers: Songs like 026unconscious333 and 57StoЯM03.
- Morality Ballad: Celestial Delinquent which is about the carelessness of people for the world. Hear her Motor Mouth rant midway.
- Ominous Music Box Tune: Her song Cupid which played it through out the music, though it's just piano played in the higher keys, making them Music Box Intervals.
- Surprisingly Gentle Songs: Just because she did go through changes, doesn't mean she can't let her hair down sometimes and write a song that's peaceful enough to get high from.
- Spiritual Successor: Her sister, Caroline, has averted this case as such when she said that her producers tried to make changes to her music since they were grooming her to be a pop-star, almost like Olivia. She left the label because she said that they were trying to make her music super-pop and "[she] couldn't quite deal with [that]".
- Word Salad Lyrics
- Word Salad Titles: What with some songs and/or albums named, Internal Bleeding Strawberry, Grapefruit Tea, Comatose Bunny Butcher, etc.