Music / The Olivia Tremor Control
The Olivia Tremor Control
is an indie rock band associated with the Elephant 6
Collective, a group of bands which also includes Of Montreal
, Neutral Milk Hotel
, and The Apples In Stereo
. The band was founded in 1994 by singer/songwriter/guitarists Bill Doss and Will Cullen Hart and disbanded in early 2000, though they have reunited sporadically since 2009. Doss died in 2012, putting an end to that year's reunion.
The Olivia Trope Control:
- Apocalypse How: "California Demise"
- Baroque Pop: Much like the rest of the E6 Collective, they take heavy influence from The Beach Boys.
- Concept Album: Or concept discography. The band's primary inspiration is the nonsensical, entrancing universe of dreams, to the point where they asked some of their listeners to send in tapes of their own dreams.
- Epic Rocking: Green Typewriters, at 23:08.
- Mind Screw: Comes with the territory when most of your songs are about dreams.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: The band would record sound collages just as often as straight psych rock songs.
- Psychedelic Rock
- Real Dreams Are Weirder: The basic inspiration for most of their songs. One of their songs is even called "Define a Transparent Dream."
- Serial Escalation: Often. For example, most of the shorter tracks on Black Foliage Animation Music are variations on the basic tracks for the song "Black Foliage"; in turn, the super-brief "Combinations" tracks are remixes of those remixes; and the B-side to the album single "Hideaway", also entitled "Combinations", is seemingly a three-minute remix of those remixed remixes... Savvy?
- Shut In: Possibly the narrator of "Sylvan Screen".
- The Walrus Was Paul: It's often to tell where the actual "concept" of much of their work ends and the joke begins.