Music: The Olivia Tremor Control
The Olivia Tremor Control is an indie rock band associated with the Elephant 6 Collective, a group of bands which also includes Of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Apples In Stereo. The band was founded in 1994 by singer/songwriter/guitarists Bill Doss and Will Cullen Hart and disbanded in early 2000, though they have reunited sporadically since 2009. Doss died in 2012, putting an end to that year's reunion.
The band exemplifies the following tropes:
- Apocalypse How: "California Demise"
- Baroque Pop
- Concept Album: Or concept discography.
- Epic Rocking: Green Typewriters.
- Mind Screw
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly
- Psychedelic Rock
- Serial Escalation: Often. For example, most of the shorter tracks on Black Foliage Animation Music are variations on the basic tracks for the song "Black Foliage"; in turn, the super-brief "Combinations" tracks are remixes of those remixes; and the B-side to the album single "Hideaway", also entitled "Combinations", is seemingly a three-minute remix of those remixed remixes... Savvy?
- Shut In: Possibly the narrator of "Sylvan Screen".
- The Walrus Was Paul: It's often to tell where the actual "concept" of much of their work ends and the joke begins.