An American Hard Rock
/Pop-Metal band from The Eighties
best known for the Power Ballad
"Sister Christian", Night Ranger are lead by singer and bass guitarist Jack Blades and released several popular singles and albums. While their popularity abated in America after the end of the decade, they remain enormously popular in Japan.
Outside of the Night Ranger, bandleader Jack Blades has been a member of the Supergroup
Damn Yankees alongisde guitarist Ted Nugent
Night Ranger Tropes
- Anti-Love Song: "Don't Tell Me You Love Me".
- Back-to-Back Badasses: The guitar duo of Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson are the musical embodiment of this.
- Black Sheep Hit: "Sister Christian", which was written and sung by the drummer, Kelly Keagy. It was originally called "Sister Christine", and written for his younger sister.
- Canon Discontinuity: A serious attempt with the album "Feeding off the Mojo", which contained just two of the original band members (and Gary Moon was the third, and only other), with plenty of songs written by external songwriters. They named their eighth album "Seven".
- Hard Rock
- Heavy Meta: "(You Can Still) Rock in America", written to counter critics' "rock is dead" accusations.
- Lead Bassist: Jack Blades is a Type B mixed with Type C
- Loudness War: Averted heavily at least on their first albums, which have an unquestionably wide dynamic range. Paired with Subdued Section for maximum effect.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: From 3 to 6.
- One Woman Song: "Penny".
- Power Ballad: "Sister Christian" and many others.
- Vocal Tag Team: Apart from bassist/lead singer Jack Blades, drummer Kelly Keagy sings lead on many songs, including "Sister Christian" (their biggest hit).