Makin' Loud Music
Michelle Jacquet Desevren Branch (born July 2, 1983) is an American singer-songwriter, and guitarist. During the early 2000s, she released two top-selling albums, The Spirit Room and Hotel Paper, and was subsequently nominated for the Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 2003. In 2005, she formed the country music duo The Wreckers with friend and fellow musician Jessica Harp, and produced the Grammy-nominated single "Leave the Pieces". The Wreckers disbanded in 2007 to pursue their respective solo careers. She has had several commercially successful songs, most notably winning a Grammy with Santana for "The Game of Love". Currently working on her follow up, West Coast Time.
- The Spirit Room, 2001
- Hotel Paper, 2003
- Stand Still, Look Pretty 2006 (as part of The Wreckers)
- Everything Comes and Goes 2010 (six song EP)
- West Coast Time (unreleased as of this)
- Break Up Song: "Are You Happy Now?" Most of the Hotel Paper album.
- Caught in the Rain: The video for "All You Wanted"
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The two worlds in the "Are You Happy Now" video: the blue side is crumbling and falling apart, the orange side is bright and still built up (Michelle looks miserable either way, though).
- Genre Shift: From Pop to Country with The Wreckers...then back to Pop for West Coast Time (what we've heard of it, anyway)
- Gratuitous French: "Till I Get Over You" has some gratuitous French in the chorus. It's coherent enough unless you read the album notes, which transcribe it wrong and then translate it wrong.
- Happily Married: has been married to her bassist, Teddy Landau for over 10 years.
- Intercourse with You: "Lay Me Down" , "Spark"
- Love Nostalgia Song: "Summertime"
- May-December Romance: Married her bassist, Teddy Landau, when she was 20 and he was 39.
- Shout-Out: "Loud Music" has loads - Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, This Is Spinal Tap, Jimi Hendrix and ACDC.
- Something Completely Different: While The Spirit Room is mostly a pop rock album, the final song, "Drop in the Ocean", is rather progressive. Beginning as ambient, it slowly becomes soft rock, and then drum & bass.
- Storyboard Body: She has over 10 tattoos. Her wrists have "left" and "right" on them, her forearms have a pin up cowgirl and feather, and her back is a large piece with "Owen Isabelle" (her daughter) written along the bottom. She says she gets a tattoo for every important moment in her life.
- Title Drop: Every. Single. Song.
- Title Track: Every album except The Spirit Room.
- Woman Scorned: "Are You Happy Now?"