Makeup and Vanity Set is a musician who specializes in chiptunes
, a style of music monikered by the use of the NES chips of old Nintendo
His sound revolves around repetitive arpeggios and sounds like handclaps. He has been affiliated with The Protomen
, doing an eight-bit remix of their first album. He has released other albums, Aesthetically Speaking
, Charles Park
, the self-titled, Makeup and Vanity Set
, Charles Park II
, The Final Fire
, and Never Let Go
. He's also released M&VS Presents: The Protomen
on vinyl, along with an accompanying T-shirt. M&VS has composed the soundtrack for a film called 88.88
He is also a ninja.
His website can be found here
This artist and his works contain examples of:
- The Alcoholic: May or may not be this, judging from reports from The Protomen.
): On the bus heading to the East Coast and Makeup And Vanity Set is already drunk. He'll be throwing things at cars before you know it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The Act I remix's CD insert paints a picture of a dystopia where those around him died.
- Fan of the Past: He's quite fond of cassette tapes.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja
- In The Style Of: The Protomen in the style of NES games!
- No Indoor Voice: He uses ALL CAPITAL LETTERS on Twitter a lot.
- The Protomen: As stated above, he created an 8-bit mix of their first album.
- Retraux: 8-bit music made in the 2000's.
- Sequel: According to M&VS, The Final Fire is a sequel to the 8-bit Act 1. Specifically, the story outlined in the liner notes.
- Significant Anagram: Tastyvein is an anagram for Vanity Set.
- Stealth Expert: Being a ninja, this is to be expected.
- Viral Marketing: On the Protomen's forums, there was a thread posted by the user 'tastyvein' claiming to have found a tune similar to the Will of One in an old NES game, with an mp3 as proof. It took about 20 pages for the forumites to figure it out. A Protomen member had to help them out, revealing the anagram.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Charles Park II and III are this.