The second Hammer Horror
film to feature a Mummy
, released in 1964.
The tomb of Ra-Antef, a banished son of a Pharaoh, has been discovered by a group of archeologists, without heed to warnings of a curse
that will claim the life of those who would dare to disturb its sanctity. After its contents have been moved to England, the mummified remains of Ra disappear, and start killing people responsible for the discovery. But the murders are not a work of a simple curse....
This film has the examples of:
- An Arm and a Leg: As a warning to the rest of the expedition, Prof. Dubois' hand is hacked off after he is killed and it is placed on Annette's bed.
- Axe Before Entering: Ra smashes his way through glass doors to get to Sir Giles.
- Belly Dancer: The main attraction of the club that King, Annette Dubois and Bray are attending to.
- But Liquor Is Quicker: Annette and Bray flirt with each other by discussing about this.
- Cain and Abel: Three thousand years ago, Ra was a noble man who sought knowledge, and his brother Re was a scheming hedonist who was so jealous for his older brother's success that he organized him to be banished.
- Dead Guy on Display: King plans to have Ra-Antef's mummified remains to be his star attraction in his sideshow.
- "Dear John" Letter: Annette leaves a breakup letter for Bray after she decides to go with Adam to America.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Sir Giles is so distraught about losing the Egyptian artifacts to King's sideshow that he turns to drinking, and quickly loses the respect of his peers.
- Love Triangle: After meeting her on the ship to England, Adam starts putting the moves on Bray's fiancee Annette.
- Princeling Rivalry: Re, younger of the Pharaoh's two sons, had his brother Ra banished and later assassinated out of jealousy.
- The Reveal: Adam turns out to be Re, Ra's brother who has been cursed to live forever for the crimes he has committed against his family unless he is slain by someone of his own blood, and seeks to end his life by using his deceased brother for this purpose.
- Title Drop
John Bray: Well, it seems that your tactics have worked after all, Hasmi. Now we fold our tents and run away.
Hasmi Bey: You cannot run away from the curse of the mummy's tomb. We're all doomed to die for this act of desecration!
- Vader Breath: Ra's heavy breathing hangs on his grisly proceedings.
- The X of Y: Used, like in most of the Hammer horror movie sequels.