Jack Vidgen (b. January 17, 1997) is an Australian blue-eyed-soul singer from Mona Vale, Sydney. Though he had been performing in public from a very young age, his eventual fame stemmed from a powerful, properly melismatic rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing" in the fifth season of Australia's Got Talent, which aired during 2011. His performance of the song gained in excess of 4.5 million hits on YouTube and resulted in him being featured many times in Perez Hilton's blog. Through this twist of fate, many speculated that Vidgen was Australia's answer to both Susan Boyle and Justin Bieber.A few performances of songs by artists such as Adele and Jennifer Hudson later, Vidgen won the grand final that season, amassing a total of $250,000 prize money. He also signed a record contract with Sony Music Australia and released two albums, Yes I Am and Inspire. Yes I Am peaked inside of the top 5 in the ARIA Albums chart and was certified Gold, where Inspire peaked at number 23 and has recived no certifications as yet.
- Yes I Am (2011)
- Inspire (2012)
This musician displays examples of:
- Child Popstar: Competed in Australia's Got Talent at age 14.
- Child Prodigy: Sang in various talent competitions from the age of ten.
- Cover Album: Inspire more so than Yes I Am. While the latter was mainly composed of covers, it contained two original songs, at least one of which was co-written by Vidgen. Inspire is fully a covers album, featuring renditions of songs by Michael Jackson, Beyoncé and Stevie Wonder among others.
- Cute Little Fangs: Had these before he got dental surgery.
- Incredibly Long Note: His long note during his cover of "I Have Nothing" received a standing ovation.
- Melismatic Vocals: His trademark singing style.
- Rags to Riches: Apparently came from a modest background, despite living in the usually-upmarket Northern Beaches.
- Reality Show / Talent Show: His stint on Australia's Got Talent. Also performed in many talent shows prior to his win and subsequent record deal.
- Vocal Evolution: His voice broke before he recorded Inspire.