Colbie Marie Calliat, born May 28 1985, is a Grammy winning acoustic pop star who knows the ukelele, the guitar and the piano. She came to popularity and mainstream consciousness in 2007 off the back of the song called "Bubbly". She's known for pouring her heart into her work, really working hard on her stage presence and being cute and "Bubbly".She's been working on her art since she was 11, officially since Grade 6 when she decided she wanted to be a singer. She picked up piano when she was 5, on the advice of her parents, and guitar when she was 19. Her parents have been calling her "Coco" since she was an infant. Her father, Ken Caillat, is the co-producer of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk (1979) and Rumours (1977) albums, on which he worked with Richard Dashut. This helped her work out her path eventually came to helping her mastering her albums later on.She started off on her path to stardom with a song called "Bubbly" which she showed off on American Idol. She got rejected twice on American Idol before working on a song which was ultimately, the super successful "Bubbly" and putting it on MySpace which was picked up by a recording company. She was top charting unsigned artist for four consecutive months. "Bubbly" was also used for promotions for a variety of TV channels, such as Channel 7 in Australia. It was a tremendous success.She soon released her first album "Coco" with Mikal Blue, her friend and major producer and his long standing work-friendship with Jason Reeves. This came out in the middle of 2007. This was a rather personal acoustic, intimate sonically, album. The title coming from her childhood nickname. This album lead to immense success with the songs "Bubbly", "The Little Things" and "Realize". She used her friends daughter as inspiration for a song called "Capri" on the album. This was her debut album. Also during this time she got picked to take part in a song called "Breathe" on Taylor Swift's Fearless album. She also did a song called "Somethin' Special" for the Bejing Olympics in middle to late 2008 and this song featured on it's soundtrack.Soon after the release of this album she finished her album called "Breakthrough". Which was completed during a "high octane" songwriting camp, late 2008, with new people such as Kara Dioguardi (Hilary Duff, Britney Spears), John Shanks (The Corrs, Ashlee Simpson), and Greg Wells (The Veronicas, Lindsay Lohan). This was an experimental album for her, she experimented with symphonies, electric guitars and choirs on the album. This album had an extensive recording session and 21 songs came out from it. This album's successful songs were "Fallin' For You" and "I Never Told You". For this album she did a song with Jason Mraz called Lucky which is a Sickeningly Sweethearts song mentioned on it's trope page. This song was quite a radio favourite.Sometime during this she ultimately broke up with Ky (A guy mentioned in her Thanks You's in Coco and Breakthrough). This person she had a complex relationship going into stardom. She then started dating Justin Young who she wrote with on her next album. They were friends first, he also is in her band. They decided to collaborate on three songs which went on "All of You"All Of You, which came out late 2011, which has two songs released from it "Brighter Then The Sun" used on Channel 7 in Australia's broadcast promotions like "Bubbly" was in 2008. "I Do" was the first single from this album. It was a moderate success. Caillat performed "Brighter Than the Sun" on Disney Channel's So Random!.Caillat appeared in the third episode of the NBC television series The Playboy Club as 1960s singer Lesley Gore. In the episode broadcast on October 3, 2011, Caillat sang Gore's 1963 hit, "It's My Party".
- Coco (2007)
- Breakthrough (2009)
- All Of You (2011)
- Christmas In The Sand (2012)
- Gypsy Heart (2014)
Tropes she uses
- Adorkable: She picks these types of guys to play her love interests in her music videos.
- Advertised Extra: She is on the Taylor Swift song "Breathe". Her voice is barely audible on the studio version and one could think it was just Taylor singing.
- Anti-Love Song: "Tied Down" is a very much this trope.
- Break Up Song: "Runnin' Around" "I Wont", "Breakin' At The Cracks", "The Little Things", "Break Through", "Before I Let You Go", "Shadow".
- Be Yourself: "Don't Hold Me Down", "Dream Life, Life", "It Stops Today", "Circles", "Try".
- Call-Back: The chords of "Make It Rain" match the chords on "Dreams Collide" on her debut.
- Christmas Songs: "Have yourself a merry little Christmas", "Merry Christmas, Baby" and "Mistletoe", went onto release a Christmas album in 2012.
- Cover Version: "Killing Me Softly", "Tell Him", "Here Comes the Sun", "Turn Your Lights Down Low", "Maria".
- Dream Team: Already collaborated with Taylor Swift and Jason Mraz
- Follow Your Heart: "Don't Hold Me Down", "Dream Life, Life", "It Stops today", "Circles", "Dreams Collide".
- Growing Up Sucks: "Older"
- Intercourse with You: "Bubbly", "Magic", "Tailor Made"
- Love Will Lead You Back: "What I Wanted To Say", "Breakin' At The cracks"
- Love Nostalgia Song: "I Never Told You", "Midnight Bottle"
- Sanity Slippage Song: "One Fine Wire", "Break Through", "Circles", "Breakin' at the Cracks",
- "Midnight Bottle", "Dreams Collide" also apply.
- Silly Love Songs: "Magic", "Bubbly", "All Of You", "I Do", "Brighter Then The Sun", "Fallin' For You", and so so many more.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: "Lucky" with Jason Mraz is about this.
- Studio Chatter: "Bubbly" has her asking "Will you count me in?"
- Record Producer: Mikal Blue/Jason Reeves did all of her first album.
- Unkempt Beauty: Just look at her
- Your Cheating Heart: "Battle"