We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Manga: Shinozakisan Ki Wo Ota Shika Ni
Don't become an otaku Shinozaki-san!
I don't read Yuri
Manga! I...I'm just holding that for a friend!
In middle-school, with her beautiful looks and outgoing personality, Akina Shinozaki used to be the leader of a group of hotties at the top of her class hierarchy. However, after her high school debut is delayed by a week due to a cold, she finds herself the odd person out as all her classmates have already formed their cliques.
Sitting next to her is an otaku
girl, Kaede Sasamura, whom she immediately dismisses as a freak, but when Akina later bumps into her, knocking her glasses off, Akina is dumbstruck when she realizes Kaede is actually very beautiful. Puzzled by why Kaede chose the life of an otaku and feeling that it's a tragic waste, Akina decides to save Kaede from the disgusting life-choice by introducing her to fashion and grooming her for a perfect high school life, but the only way to get close to Kaede is for Akina to pretend to be an otaku herself, much to her chagrin.
Still, she'll do whatever it takes to save Kaede from the otaku lifestyle, as soon as she is done watching some Prepure
, cosplaying, playing RPG's, and reading Doujins... wait, what was she supposed to be doing again?
Shinozakisan Ki Wo Ota Shika Ni contains examples of:
- All-Loving Hero: Konatsu shows she's more than just a perverted sexual harasser in chapter 16. She loves making friends and will try her hardest to become friends with anyone even if they have nothing in common. Additionally she extremely values the friendships she's got being fully aware that she has a personality some find annoying.
- Beautiful All Along: Kaede, much to Akina's shock.
- Berserk Button: Otaku in general seem to be Akina's, but ask her about otaku things or suggest she does otaku stuff at your own peril.
- Big Brother Instinct: Makoto is actually pretty protective of his little sister.
- Bland-Name Product: Constant, most obvious being Prepure for Pretty Cure.
- The in universe Windows is called "Wenby's"
- Brother-Sister Incest: Brought up occasionally but subverted pretty hard.
- Makoto honestly has no interest in his little sister or anyone he considers a little sister like Chigusa. It wierds him out that everyone keeps bringing it up. He even thinks its wrong for a college kid like him to be with a teenager seeing it as being a Lolicon.
- Akina cannot stand Makoto most of the time and her sexual interests lie else where.
- But I Read A Book About It: Akina discovers a book titled: "How To Seduce A Female Otaku." Of course she bought it.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Akina can't spit anything out, she had a hard time trying to call Kaede by her first name, she can't tell Kaede and Micchy she is more into fashion then otaku stuff, and she really can't say that she is in love with Kaede, especially to herself.
- Chick Magnet: Makoto is actually pretty popular with Akina's old friends, much to her horror, but he isn't interested in girls he's known since childhood, feeling its a little too close to Brother-Sister Incest and being a lolicon.
- Childhood Friends: Akina and Chigusa have been friends since they were little kids.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Akina tends to react badly when people get close to Kaede, or Kaede does her normal glomping to others.
- Closet Key: Kaede for Akina, its a toss up for which was the deeper closet, being gay or being an otaku.
- Comical Overreacting: Akina is what you get when you mix this trope and Genki Girl.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Akina believes this trope is in play between her loyalty to her old Girl Posse middle school friends and her new Otaku friends. This is proven several times to very much just in Akina's head
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Hibari dyes her hair green and dresses up as a Gothic Lolita.
- Covert Pervert: Her frequent day dreams aside, Akina is a little more into Yuri doujins then she would like to admit.
- Cute Little Fangs: Micchy
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Konatsu implies this when she tells Touko she's always thinking about her when curled up in bed or taking a shower, though this is probably just more of her lewd teasing.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 5 is about Micchy, and chapter 6 about Makoto and his creepy friends. Chapter 16 focuses on Konatsu.
- Special mention goes to chapter 17 where Akina gets to finally have the day she's always wanted.
- The Ditz: Chigusa
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Akina tends to be loud when she is playing video games, between the loud moaning and begging to stop or not be so rough, its pretty easy to understand what people are thinking when they hear her.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Touko was confessed to by a girl before, she became quite flustered when it was brought up, and refused to say anything about it.
- Everyone Is Gay: Parodied in a Tabletop RPG Akina plays were every character the party encounters is revealed to be gay, the non-violent way to end the campaign is to discover the Demon Queen is gay as well.
- Eyes Always Shut: Chigusa.
- The Fashionista: Akina is very into fashion and accessories. She spends over two hours making an avatar for an RPG because of this. Akina would probably be happier if she didn't think this trope and being an Otaku can't combine.
- Funbag Airbag: Kaede gets pushed into Akina while in a crowd rush. Poor Micchy ain't so lucky and just gets squished up against a wall.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Hibari and Akina have an almost instant dislike for one another, but after playing a tabletop RPG together and Akina realizing that Hibari is as easily controlled by Ayu as she herself is by Kaede, they begin to become friends.
- Gamer Girl: Micchy most obviously, but Kaede and Akina play as well.
- Genki Girl: Konatsu, boucing around and groping her friends seems to be her favorite pastimes.
- Girl Posse: Akina and her friends; Chigusa, Touko, and Konatsu, formed one when they were in middle-school.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Kaede radiated much more beauty when her glasses came off, at least to Akina.
- Imagine Spot: Akina lapses into these when she thinks about saving Kaede from being an otaku, but they almost always devolve into a Yuri fantasy. Her over reaction to these things has caused her to be deemed a weirdo by her classmates, who just see her randomly freaking out.
- Living a Double Life: Akina is simultaneously trying to convince Kaede and her friends that she's totally an otaku, while trying to make everyone else think that she wouldn't have anything to do with otaku stuff.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Akina's personality best fits this trope, if things had gone her way she would have started a Girl Posse and talked about boys and clothes all day long. Instead she is forced to make the best of it with gross otaku.
- Luminescent Blush: In chapter 1, after she heard from the school nurse that kaede came to the school nurse with teary eyes being really worried about Akina's condition after she fainted from a lack of sleep, Akina blushed knowing Kaede cared a lot about her, cementing her resolve to get deeper into the Otaku pit to get close to her.
- Meganekko: Kaede
- Megaton Punch: Matoko frequently receives these from Akina, luckily he has a protective layer of fat.
- Moment Killer: The few times Akina manages to get around her speech problems, its almost guaranteed she will be interrupted by someone.
- Nice Guy: Makoto, while he can indulge in otaku creepiness from time to time, he is always willing to help. He loans Akina an expensive game console and builds a computer for her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: A rare platonic version, Makoto often goes out of his way to help Akina, but more often the not just gets punished instead of thanked.
- No Name Given: Makoto's three friends are introduced as "Makoto's friends A, B, and C."
- Open Secret: Everyone in Akina's class knows she's an otaku.
- Akina's friends were pretty quick to deduce that she had fallen for a girl and that that girl was Kaede, though they may have just been joking.
- Otaku: Poor Akina she's surrounded, and being infected with their poison.
- Oblivious to Love: Chigusa was confessed to by guys often in middle-school but was completely clueless as to what they wanted.
- Besides being in heavy denial about her feelings for Kaede, Akina was apparently oblivious to all the guys that seeked her attention in middle-school.
- Kaede has no idea about Akina's feelings for her.
- Running Gag: Akina and Mokoto walking in on each other without knocking, Doubly funny since its Makoto's room and he doesn't need to knock but is punished anyway.
- Shipping: A common subject of conversation, most notably getting a tabletop adventure themed on it.
- Shout-Out: A lot for the Pretty Cure series.
- Shrinking Violet: Ayu, Kaede's middle school friend, is very nervous around new people and prone to crying. She then uses her tears to get Hibari to act the way she wants.
- Sick Episode: Akina was sick for a week when school started which is why she was isolated from the class that had already formed cliques. Kaede becomes sick in a later chapter.
- Skinship Grope: Konatsu frequently gropes Touko and Akina whenever she can, though she will frequently end up with a goose egg for her troubles.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Chapter 17, Akina is finally allowed to show off her fashionista skills, and not only that she does not become the butt of any jokes and the whole day ends up being one she has wanted for a long time.
- Tomboy: Touko.
- Transparent Closet/Closet Geek: Akina, big time, at this point its a race to see what she confesses to first, being gay or being an otaku.
- Tsundere: Akina gets accused of being this quite a lot. Touko as well
- Why Did it Have to be Otaku: Akina cannot stand otaku or otaku things, seeing them in the same way a person might see a particularly gross bug.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hibari dyes her hair green.
- Yaoi Fan Girl: Almost every otaku girl introduced. Ayu can only get over her Shrinking Violet ways when talking about her favorite Yaoi pairings.
- Yuri: Becoming more and more obvious with each chapter.
- Yuri Fan: Kaede, Akina is starting to warm up to the idea as well.