Manga: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days
is a manga High School A.U.
(sort of) of the cast of Neon Genesis Evangelion
. It's really an adaptation of the video game based off of Evangelion called Girlfriend of Steel 2
The story of it continues Shinji's dream sequence in Episode 26 of Evangelion
. In the High School A.U.
, Asuka is his childhood friend along with Kaworu, Rei is an extroverted, easily excited new transfer student, Misato is the homeroom teacher, and Ritsuko is the school nurse. Yui Ikari is still alive. The Evangelions and Angels make up very little of the plot. Most of it is romantic comedy
hijinks, and needless to say it ends much happier than the apocalyptic original series.
It lasted 6 volumes from 2003-2005.
Tropes related to the series:
- Accidental Pervert: Shinji is accused of being this after he bumped into Rei on accident, though Shinji really saw nothing.
- Adults Are Useless: Because Evas hate them. It's deconstructed at the end. When Toji becomes an adult, he becomes useless too.
- Ascended Extra: Kensuke is an EVA Pilot now, specifically piloting EVA-04, which, in the series, was destroyed before getting a pilot or (presumably) a Soul.
- Bishōnen: Kaworu; it's lampshaded.
- Can't Tie His Tie: In its final volume Asuka fixes Shinji's while complaining how she has to do this, and how Shinji can't, and other things, while blushing. The others take it as a sign that their Relationship Upgrade is holding.
- Crash-Into Hello: See Accidental Pervert
- Final Battle: Tokyo-03 falls under attack by an army of Angels. Not just one or two, but almost every. Last. ONE, including Adam.
- First Girl Wins: Asuka, the childhoodfriend and first introduced, is the one who gets The Protagonist.
- Genki Girl: Rei, of all people, is a high enegy girl.
- High School A.U.: Downplayed.
- All the giant robots and angels and stuff? It's still there. It's just that Angelic Days is idealistic and more focused on the High School parts than the mecha battle parts. In fact, there are only two major battles in the entire series, the first one being a fight involving Shinji and Rei double-teaming Sachiel and a full-scale war between the Evas and the Angels.
- Ritsuko and Misato appear to be school staff now, but they still have connections to NERV.
- Everyone Can See It: Shinji/Asuka is shipped by everyone. Kaworu teases them about it and bullies try to use Asuka's jealousy about it to convince her to join in bulling Rei.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Rei and Kensuke for Shinji and Asuka respectively in the end.
- Mind Screw: Just what are Kaworu and the Evas? Because the origins for the canon don't fit...
- New Transfer Student: Rei and it causes drama early on. She's been one of these so often she didn't bother to get the school uniform so other girls thought she was stuck up and trying to stand out.
- Romantic Comedy: The Angels are in the background and the personal tragedies are missing or downplayed.
- Tsundere: Asuka. She's less temperamental and more affectionate than the original.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Asuka, see First Girl Wins.
- Yandere: "I'm a friend to Shinji. And only to Shinji." The person who said that was Kaworu.