She forgot her bloody nose mask. It keeps her clothes from getting dirty.
"Do friends cover each other with blood from bloody noses?"
Nao is just a normal high school kid who's a tad shy and withheld. He doesn't have any friends but seems just fine with it. Enter Serika, a girl in his school looking for a friend. Also, she is the single strangest person he has ever met, constantly having nosebleeds whenever she looks at him and rarely showing an expression on her face besides absolutely serious. She's also decided that he's going to be her new best friend...Choku!
is the first manga by Nico Tanigawa and holds many similarities to their more popular series of No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular
However, instead of making comedy off of the social ineptitude of the main character, it instead forces said character to grow by introducing someone even more socially inept than him to an absurd degree.
This manga provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Nao.
- All Women Are Doms All Men Are Subs: Pretty much every girl in Nao's life has power over him. Justified, as he's rather weak willed and physically average.
- Almost Kiss: Played for Laughs and instigated by Serika's mom.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: Serika constantly invokes this on Nao, usually around other people.
- Badass Adorable: Inverted. Nao is not badass by any means...but his cuteness is described by Serika as a "Dangerous Weapon." Whenever she looks at him, she forgets everything going on around her. See Class Trip to see why this is a dangerous thing.
- Bishōnen: Nao, according to Serika.
- Black Comedy Rape/Attempted Rape: Serika ends up in a fit of lust at one point and forces her self on Nao after thinking that he wanted them to have their first time. Nao fails to fight back, but his cute expression causes Serika to have a nosebleed so bad that she passes out from it before anything could happen and thinks the whole experience was a dream.
- Brainless Beauty: Serika once says she thinks Nao having low grades is a charm point. He doesn't exactly agree.
- Butt Monkey: Nao, usually entirely by accident on Serika's part.
- Can Not Spit It Out: Nao after Serika thinks the two are dating. So Serika's mom does it for him. By accident.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Serika. She would do anything for Nao, but she also loses a lot of blood by just looking at him.
- Class Trip: Nao misses out on his, due to Serika looking at him sleeping in her sidecar, causing her to take her eyes off the road at the worst possible time.
- Closet Otaku: Nao, but a minor one.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Serika, to an absurd degree.
- Cool Sidecar: Inverted. Serika's sidecar is certainly interesting, but an adorable looking seal isn't exactly cool.
- Cosplay: Nao is forced to dress as a Vocaloid for a part time job. A female one. Serika dresses as Black Rock Shooter.
- Covert Pervert: Nao. He's not that big of a pervert, but he certainly doesn't look like one at first glance.
- Dating Sim: Nao's favorite type of game. To his displeasure, Serika forced him to play some with her.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: Serika believes she can read someone's mind by looking in their eyes. She picks up dirty thoughts from Nao, who instantly denies all of them.
- Emotionless Girl: Inverted with Serika. She feels plenty and expresses herself, but it's usually with the same deadly serious expression.
- Fanservice: From time to time, usually with Nao, amusingly enough. Then there's the chapter at the arcade.
- H-Game: Nao plays these...once with Serika.
- Hypocritical Humor: Serika criticizes a comedy act for using crude humor in chapter 20.
- Japanese Delinquents: Serika pretends to be one after she finds out Nao wasn't dating her.
- Love Epiphany: Nao eventually has one.
- Lust Object: Nao is this to Serika and his teacher.
- Made of Iron: Serika manages to recover from a motorcycle crash pretty fast.
- Miss Swears-A-Lot: Serika is found of using the S word as it was intended to be used.
- Nosebleed: From the female lead, for a change.
- No Social Skills: Both the main characters, but mainly Serika.
- Old-Fashioned Rowboat Date: Nao, while trying to make up with Serika.
- Parental Abandonment: Nao's mom leaves on a business trip a few chapters in.
- Relationship Upgrade: As of Chapter 17.
- Romantic Comedy
- Running Gag: Nao crossdressing, nosebleeds from Serika, Serika appearing at the worst time, and many others.
- Sick Episode: Nao has the cold and Serika skips school to nurse him back to health. A mix of Crowning Moment of Funny and Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Subverted. Turns out that Serika is a genius. She's 10 cm taller than Nao.
- Shotacon: Nao's teacher. She might also be a Lolicon.
- Slice of Life
- Stalking Is Love: Overtime. Justified as Nao never really had someone care as much about him as Serika and she's overall very nice...just strange.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Nao has this affect on most everyone when crossdressing.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl
- Toilet Humor: In the very first chapter, Serika meets Nao and says that she finds taking a shit with her lover (who she already sees Nao as) is romantic. She is aware she is in the boy's room. She prefers it there.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Let's just say one of the arcade employees had an interesting run in with Nao in the bathroom...
- Urban Legends: Nao and Serika start one when a janitor thinks the two are a ghost. With all the blood Serika left behind, this isn't surprising...
- Weakness Turns Her On: Serika really likes Nao in part of his very un-manly body and personality.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: In the first chapter, Serika forces Nao to wear a wedding dress. He wears it well. He pretends to be a female student later to try and help another girl scared of men, which comes back to bite him...