Butterflies, Flowers (Chou yo Hana yo) is a josei manga series by Yuki Yoshihara, running in the magazine Petit Comic. The English version is licensed by Viz.Choko, the daughter of a formerly wealthy family fallen on hard times, is an entry-level administrative worker at her first job. She ends up under the thumb of hot but tyrannical Administrative Department Director Domoto ("say it with ♥!"), who turns out to be one of her family's former servants - one on whom she had a pretty obvious puppy crush as a girl. Despite being a dictatorial, slave-driving and borderline sexually harassing boss at work, Domoto turns into Choko's devoted servant off-hours. Romantic comedy ensues.
This work provides examples of:
- Age-Gap Romance: Ages aren't specified but Domoto is old enough to have been in high school when Choko was still a small child. Choko calls Domoto a 30-year old; he invariably retorts that he's still in his twenties. Choko herself is presumably about 22, since she appears to be getting her first job after graduating from college.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Wholesome Crossdresser Suou is... very effective and highly respected, dress or no dress.
- Eye Scream: Played for laughs. When Domoto kicks a locker Choko is hiding in, she is squished and a chibified version of her is shown with her eyeballs oozing out of their sockets.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Wholesome Crossdresser Suou is very touchy-feely with Domoto. Even when he's not in a dress.
- Impoverished Patrician: Choko's family lost their fortune 13 years before the series' beginning and now only own a small restaurant.
- Insistent Terminology: It's "Director Domoto ♥." No substitutes.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Fashionable: Kind of; Domoto browbeats Choko to upgrade her behavior and appearance, partly for the job, partly because of her noble lineage, and maybe for some other reason...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Domoto
- Mean Boss: Director Domoto. Not mean so much, but tyrannical, dictatorial, and demanding.
- Nom de Mom: Choko's family sold their Big Fancy House to pay for their former servants' retirement. Domoto was so disgusted by his parents' refusal to do anything in return after prospering he took his mother's maiden name.
- Office Lady: The heroine, Choko.
- Puppy Love: Choko as a tot was very attached to "Cha-chan".
- Say It with Hearts: Domoto insists that Choko address him as "Director Domoto ♥" when on the job.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Domoto's co-worker and very close friend, Suou, of whom Choko is quite jealous until she realizes he's a he.
- Yaoi Fangirls: The fellow office minions who know about the Wholesome Crossdresser.
- Split Personality : Domoto,at work he's a bossy and cold Chief with Choko but after work he turns into the royal and obedient servant to her.
- Tall Darkand Handsome : Domoto is.